Friday, November 19, 2004

Musical Notes

Despite my tendency to be completely immersed in popular culture and my near complete obsession with The OC, here's something that shows exactly how off the radar I have flown in my old age.

So, popular music today is crazy right? All those young kids with their damn hip-hop and the shouting. I have three musical anecdotes to relate. Not that they are musical in form, that they are about music. Y'all know I don't sing right? There are people in the world who have seen me sing (George Michael's "Faith") but they number right around 5 and that number will never increase.

Anyway, the musical points of interest:
  • One: I really love the new Greenday album. Two: The single from it that they play on the radio all the time is set at the exact tempo of my turn signal in the Truck of Malfunction. I found this out last week through amazing coincidence and I don't know why, but it amused me so much that I kept the turn signal on all the way down Highway 12 until the song was over. It turns out the reason I'm a bad driver is the radio. As anyone who has ever driven with me while a Britney Spears song is on can attest.
  • Incredibly geeky, but I don't care: Every single time that Chingy song about people in the club getting "Tipsy" comes on, I swear that someone set a rap song to the music from Final Fantasy VI - The Magitek Factory. It sounds exactly the same. With all the banging metal in rhythm and the midi techno beat. Crap. This bullet point could also be called: The Perfect Illustration of Why Jason is Alone in the World.
  • Last night on MTV2 they had the European Music Awards on. I only watched for about 45 minutes, but for every single person who came on stage I yelled at the screen "What are you Wearing! Nooo!" Most noticeably, the chick who was wearing the see-through maternity dress when she wasn't pregnant, and all the guys who would bring out the cards with the winners on them, who were all dressed in rubber kilts with no shirts on and little man purses attached to their sides. I obviously will never understand Europe. Also, I'm not entirely sure, but I think Usher came out during his acceptance speech for best male performance.

I think this finally proves that I will never again be hip with the young people. Not that I necessarily ever was before.


1 comment:

frank said...

I'm still traumatized by watching that. People in Rome are insane!