Monday, September 26, 2005

Pointless

About five weeks ago, I went initial furniture shopping. I took the illustrious Frnak with me, so I would have someone there with a modicum of decorum. Primarily to stop me from buying the most immediately tacky and awesome living room set imaginable. Because I tend to love me some tacky.

But this is a serious and adult purchase that I will have to spend the majority of my life (or, y'know, 10 years. A long time, is what I'm getting at) with. I've been saving up for months for this, it has to be perfect. This is my bid for adulthood, actual real furniture, not a 20 year old couch with stains on it older than the majority of my friends and futon that has seen the rise and fall of dynasties.

Back on that old 5 week ago adventure we went to 6 different stores in our quest for the best furniture. I had something very specific in mind - dark, but not too dark, modern but not outlandish, soft and comfortable, yet not painful on the eyes, and within my price range. Sadly, the best option we found was the very first set we laid eyes on in the very first store. It was a bit lighter than I wanted, and a touch higher than my price range. So we moved on, but never found a set that really met expectations.

Cut ahead to this weekend. I've finally gotten everything else in the world squared away, it's time to actually get to making some huge, financially crippling purchases. I once again collect the Frnak (now only 1 room away) and off we go. I want to hit the same stores as last time, only now I'm prepared to lower my standards, and I've got an exact monetary figure in mind. I will get this thing done.

We go back to that first place of lo those many weeks ago. They are having a tent clearance sale. I come within 4 minutes of buying a remaindered bright red couch that would be able to stun small birds just by looking at it. It is soft, and would look okay in my living room. However, it has light stains already, and is covered in leaves. We decide to check inside real quick, just for parity.

An old woman who can speak no louder than a whisper leads us through the store, initially to the most tacky set of furniture I have ever loved, but Frnak is able to steer me away ("You will have to live with this for the next ten years. Will you still be tacky 10 years from now? Okay, maybe you will, but still.") Suddenly we are back in front of that original set from a month ago. It looks even better than last time. And it's now 10% off. Which puts it exactly 50 dollars below my price range.

In a shocking turn of events, I sign up and buy the whole thing in about 10 minutes. I guess that is considered growing up, I didn't have an aneurysm and spend 2 hours bemoaning the situation. We even got to pick the furniture up the same day (Thank God for my truck, even though it is a malfunctioning piece of malfunction, it still gets shit done). Moving the stuff into the house was hideous, as was moving the old stuff elsewhere, but the end result is undeniably sexy. Following the acquisition of some Art for the living room and the removal of a blanket from the wall, my living room will be entirely adult. there's not a tacky thing left in there, unless you count the faux fur curtains, which aren't so much "tacky" as "awesome."

Of course, this means that my bedroom is now tacky in concentrated form. Just peeking inside is enough to blind someone of good taste for life.

So, um, anyways. Very adult, going art shopping this afternoon, living room is awesome. And on a personal note, ow, ow, OW I am sore from moving all that furniture. I have got to start exercising more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jason, I came across your site while looking for postings on buying furniture. I was interested in what people looked for or thought about when they were buying furniture. Although Pointless isn't exactly what I had in mind, I can see why it came up in my search. In any case, thanks for the interesting post.