Friday, September 09, 2005

The O.C. - The O. Suck, same difference

Have I mentioned lately that The O.C. is dead to me?

Dead to Me!

I was all relatively excited, a not that bad season finale, some good looking previews for the premiere, and an early start date so there's nothing to compete with? Sign me up.

And then...it's crap. Marissa neither goes to jail for shooting Trey, nor does she get stuck with a shiv made from an old toothbrush while in said jail. Which is primarily what I was looking for in the opening of season 3. Instead, we get someone in a coma from getting shot in the shoulder, who then is able to wander out of the hospital 2 days after he wakes up. Bravo, indeed, writers.

Other bits included just to piss me off, apparently:
  • Kirsten's alcoholism is all based on her father, and has nothing to do with the fact that she's married to an asshole. And that chick from Star Trek is stalking her in what might be the most overly dramatic way possible.
  • Seth knows nothing about Ryan? No hobbies, no movies, apparently he is regulated to standing around offering lame one-liners and going along with nonsensical plans. Best friends/brothers. For the love of God, where is the dynamic that was the whole reason for the show in the first place?
  • Sandy apparently still sucks, both as a lawyer and in his relationships (didn't he used to like Jimmy? I have vague recollections...)
  • Of course no one believes that Marissa shot Trey. There could obviously never be any forensic evidence that would indicate the truth. Do they think that their audience has never seen a single episode of, say, CSI, or L&O? Just....arg. I'm not saying I need realism, but there are 140 different ways you could have gone with this story, and the one you picked might possibly be the worst one, unless you count the options that include the return of Jess, or possibly Oliver.

Small saving graces:

  • Julie Cooper is still awesome and evil, which I must respect, even if it was a bit much. That part with the pink high heels? Priceless.
  • Beach frolicking - very cute.
  • Every word uttered by Rachel Bilson.
  • The scene at the end where Ryan was all sad and leaning on Sandy. (Which was ruined by the huge Welcome to Newport sign in the background. I know light symbolism has never been your strong point, but come on.)

I don't think I can take this season for very long. In other news, that Reunion show was just ridiculous: bad acting, anvils raining from the sky, predictable plots, and the return of Hailey from The OC. That said, I am much more invested in that than The OC. Cute boys! Illegitimate love childrens! Graham from My SoCalled Life! Awesome '80s soundtrack! Very vaguely promising.

No comments: