Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Fine, Popular Culture Can Have My Soul

Lord help me.

So we went and saw Dukes of Hazard last night. Despite the fact that I once swore on my box set of My So-Called Life DVDs that I would sooner eviscerate myself with a spoon than go see that movie.

And....I didn't hate it.

Seriously, just shoot me now.

I don't want to go into the whole thing, but:
  • I laughed on several occasions, and not just at the teenage boys sitting next to us who would moan whenever Jessica Simpson appeared on the screen.
  • I find it deeply wrong that Seann William Scott can make me laugh with his acting abilities. Isn't there, like, a pill I can take to cure that?
  • Perhaps I have suffered a recent blow to the head and have just repressed the memory.

I will also give them (I would almost say respect but... no) credit for being so completely unapologetic about their Jessica Simpson ogling. I bet if you timed it, at least 8% of that movie was devoted to panning up or down her body in some sort of non-outfit. They do indeed know how to aim at their target market.

And now I'm so depressed that I'm going to end this thing right here. I beg you, do not go see this movie, you'll only encourage them.

(An aside: What do you get when you cross a donkey and an onion? A piece of ass that brings a tear to your eye.) (What can I say, we're easily amused.)

1 comment:

frank said...

"Despite the fact that I once swore on my box set of My So-Called Life DVDs that I would sooner eviscerate myself with a spoon than go see that movie."

hehe... I have your My So-Called Life Box set at my place!!! I blame myself.