Monday, July 18, 2005

A Rambling Harry Potter Talk

(Wherein I try to discuss a book without discussing a book, because I was so adamant about not being spoiled, and then I got spoiled halfway through by accident and cursed the gods, but then it didn't really matter because I already had guessed, but I still don't want to ruin it for anyone else. Short form: No Spoilers.)

The last four times I have finished a Harry Potter book, I have decided immediately following it that I didn't like it. Each time, after a set period, I reversed my decision sweepingly.

With Prisoner of Azkaban, it took 2 hours. It remains my favorite book in the series so far.

With Goblet of Fire, it took maybe 5 hours. And immediately following that span, I read it again. I really like it, almost as much as 3.

With Order of the Phoenix, it took me more than a week. I appreciate this one more than all the rest. In that I think it is very well done and mature and what it needs to be, for all the badness that it was. It upped the stakes and despite some mind-boggling turns, was the perfect amount of dark, which was a ton. Lots of darkness is a good way to get in my good graces.

Half Blood Prince took only 6 hours. I don't like a lot of the decisions made with the story, but I've come around to almost all the points, which is insane, considering there are still occasions of OotP that I still seethe over. I'm sort of in shock over the entire thing.

Weirdly, I have the opposite problem with this book from the others, namely that I think the characterization was off in certain cases, which I never expected. Not in a horribly noticeable way, just, like, (this is so hard without actually mentioning the book) a couple of off notes in a mostly spot-on book.

Also, there were scenes missing. Which shouldn't happen in a book that is almost 700 pages long. I needed three additional scenes added to this book, and without them, I have to stretch on some things that I don't like. (But it gives way to a lot of juicy fandom issues, which is an entire post in and of itself, not that anyone who reads this would care about it.)

But I've made my peace. It probably falls in line after OotF in terms of favoritism, but that's after one reading. There are layers to go. I didn't really appreciate OotF until after the third reading. It might get bumped up.

So yeah. Final result, really good stuff. Bravo.

There will be more later, even though no one cares, but its all about me, dammit.

Also: Comments are free reign for spoilers, so don't click it or look down unless you are prepared for the consequences.

No comments: