Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Master of Contradiction

I went ahead and finished off the health rant below, even though I knew the next thing I wrote would seemingly completely invalidate it. I have many layers of contradiction going on within me at all times. And I state right now that I am still within my rights under the prongs of my health plan.

Anyways, I spend the entire 4th of July weekend in an orgy of unhealthy food consumption. Seriously, I got up at 11:00 on Saturday and started cooking, and stopped eating at roughly 10:00pm on Monday. There were hamburgers, chicken wings, bratwurst, baked beans, corn on the cob, an entire 2 lb bag of cherries, and all manner of desserts that I tore through as though my life depended on it. It was the first holiday weekend I've spent alone in recent memory, and it was entirely worth it. Solitude, TV, and piles of food was the only thing that could have possibly worked for me and it was flawless.

Other points of note: I did not make it to any of the movies that I had planned on, which was shocking as I had a 4 movie rotation that I had carefully fine-tuned over the course of the week previous. But oh well. I did, however, go see Howl's Moving Castle.

Certain things I learned on this viewing: The Inwood Theatre is still creepy, but slightly less so with new seats. The employees there really want to get you out as soon as possible, as was evidenced by the fact that they shut off the projector 12 seconds into the closing credits. Small children are still the bane of my existence.

The movie was good, but not as good as usual. Miyazaki movies are held to a greater standard because they're always awesome. This movie was not awesome. Well, it was sort of, in that I liked all the characters and it was, as always, very well animated and the right amount of creepy/charming. But more importantly, large portions, particularly the ending, didn't make a damn bit of sense. Which is usually okay in these sorts of movies (Lord knows I didn't get all that was going on in Spirited Away) but in this one it was more that the parts were glossed over, rather than I didn't get them.

Also. For the love of little green apples, the title character was the gayest thing I've seen outside of a Pride parade or an Anthony Fedorov fan club. I mean, come on. Throughout the entire movie he was wearing tight black pants, billowy v-neck cut blouses, and dangly earrings. He also had a tendency to suddenly come onscreen and pause dramatically (read: strike a particularly gay pose) and/or put his hand on his hip in a jaunty (read: homosexual) manner. Include in the fact that he also threatened suicide after he got a bad dye job, and really, there are no conclusions left.

But whatever. I enjoyed it muchly. Not as much as, say, Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, but still more than your average movie. Mostly it made me want to go pick up a copy of both of those movies, which is always a good impulse and one I plan on fufilling later on today.

And that was the grand sum of my weekend, if you include a whole bunch of World of Warcraft and the viewing of the entire first season of The OC for the 90th time. Good times.

No comments: