Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Dirty Little Musical Secrets

Sometimes you just have to unburden yourself.

God help me, I really like that Jesse McCartney single that they play on the radio. A whole lot. I mean, empirically I know that it sucks, but I can't help myself. I hum it, I sing along unknowingly and I want you and your beautiful sooooooul...

I think some of the problem is that he did a cameo on that Amanda Bynes sitcom that I love so much and he made me laugh, so I'm somewhat partial to him. It's not an excuse, but it helps me sleep at night.

Yikes. I can feel people's respect for me draining as I type this.

Let's go ahead and get the other admission out of the way here quick too: I really don't like The Smiths. I'm sorry, but no. I just can't get into them at all. I try to pretend and put up a brave face, but I totally would rather be listening to pretty much anything else. I can show my alt rock self to the door, thanks.

-----------------------

Continuing the cliche of musical entries...

In my iTunes, I'm brushing up against 3000 songs these days. I'm not sure how it got so high. I know a bunch can be filed under "Sean gives me a lot of indie cred with his mp3 collection of high quality tunes" but still. 3000? That's a lot of music.

Let us do a quick run through of the highlights and lowlights of the collection, as done by memory, since I don't have the list right here in front of me (going through alphabetically by artist):
  • It takes 7 songs to get to something that isn't a cover. A quick glance over the whole thing indicates that about 1 out of every 8 songs or so is a cover. Which is weird, but I do like covers a lot. Have you heard The Scissor Sisters cover Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out? Because you should.
  • The Beatles win the title of Group With the Most Songs on Jason's List. Which is as it should be. Considering that a) I used to have the most devoted Beatles fan in the world as a roommate, and b) they are the best band. There is no such thing as overrating The Beatles.
  • There's a very gay run of songs here that goes on pretty much indefinitely, starting with Bette Midler, Cher, and Christina Aguilara and finally starts to peter out around Eartha Kitt. Because then you hit the Earth Wind and Fire, and there was nothing gay about them. No sir.
  • Wow. Do you remember when it was cool to listen to John Mayer? Otherwise known as my sophomore year in college? God, I was so drunk back then. So young, so innocent. I still love Comfortable, though.
  • God help me, now that they've sold out and appeared on The OC, I love The Killers. I was resistant at first, but then they were all over the TV. (SNL came next. Where they were on with Topher Grace! Yum.) I just had to embrace the madness, they're so catchy. They probably want to shoot me for saying that.
  • I'm trying to remember where my Lisa Loeb obsession came from. I have no idea. Maybe it was also during sophomore year and I just drank away those brain cells. Because I do believe I have every song she ever recorded. I feel a little dirty just typing that.
  • Nina Simone is my idol. That's all I've got there.
  • And I love that Rufus Wainwright. He's gay, you know.
  • Actually, R - T is pretty much nothing but classical stuff. Do you think there's a reason that I only like composers who have names that start with late letters of the alphabet? Or am I just over thinking this waaay too much?
  • And to end this quickly, because Jesus this is boring: Yo Yo Ma is awesome, and cellists are hot.

And just so my credibility isn't totally ruined (although it already is) and to make up for all my misdeeds: you really should listen to Dashnine Radio. Easily the best radio station in the history of the world. Not to oversell it or anything.


1 comment:

erin said...

OH MY GOD. The John Mayer comment is exactly right. It's on my playlist of "things that remind me of my freshman year". Franz Ferdinand is the shiznit, and I can't stand the Smiths. Rock on Jason.