Thursday, February 03, 2005

Uninformed Sports Blog

Okay, every year I get like this, but seriously, I love basketball season. I love March Madness and all the college related hoopla. Yes, it is painful to watch teams shoot 33 percent and win a game 62-55 sometimes, but on the whole, it's just so much fun. And even though I know SMU will never get any big time recognition, I watch the whole thing with great interest. With such short seasons, every single game has this cute desperation to it, like these players will have an aneurysm with a loss. That's always fun.

Jason's fun facts about college ball:
  • I hate the University of Nevada (at Reno). Still. In case you were wondering. Haaate.
  • That Travis Diener from Marquette is my not-so-secret boyfriend. Even with his wack-ass facial hair. But he has a stress fracture in his foot and his team is going down the toilet. Which is too bad. Do you remember a couple of years ago when Dwayne Wade got them to the Final Four? I would totally watch all their games just because of Diener. I apparently have a soft spot for tiny, wiley basketball players who shoot three pointers (see my upcoming talk on Nash, Steve).
  • For reasons I can't nail down, I really sort of like Duke. I don't know why, but I always root for them when they get shown on ESPN. I can't even begin to root for underdogs when Duke is involved. It must stem from some sort of childhood trauma.
  • But I hate that J.J. Reddick character who plays on their team. He is my exception to the wiley 3-point-shooter rule. I really want to punch him in the face, for reasons that are also undetermined.
  • I have no use whatsoever for women's basketball, but I love the SMU women's team with complete and utter abandon. I own posters of the last 3 seasons with the signatures of all the players. I'm pretty sure that almost reaches stalker levels of devotion. But they are totally awesome. And are having a kick-ass season this year.

Compounding this love of basketball is the current NBA season which is totally engrossing me. The Mavs are doing good. Not great but serviceable and getting better. (That Miami game nearly gave me a stroke.) Plus, my dear little Steve Nash (I'm still a bit choked up about his departure) is rocking it in Phoenix and getting all this MVP talk, which is awesome. He is just the wiliest little guy in the world. And he's from Canadia to boot, eh? I miss him so.

These days, I will just be flipping through the channels (have I mentioned that suddenly I have complete cable now? It just appeared. It would totally own me, except for the fact that World of Warcraft still does. Anyways, full cable. Awesomeness.) and I'll happen upon an NBA game, and then I'll look up, the game has ended and 2 hours have passed. Stupid, entertaining sports events.

It's hard to keep a steady train of thought when you have as easily distracted mind as mine. College basketball on ESPN gives way to NBA basketball on TNT at the first commercial, and I forget about Illinois altogether, then I remember that I just walked away from the computer game to get a Coke and I really should be finishing that up, and then I hear an updated score on the Mavericks and, what, the Mavs are playing?, so I go and turn on UPN to catch that game, and then I remember that I just left my computer controlled wolf all alone so I run back to the computer, and then what's that burning smell, oh for the love of god, that's right I was baking cookies.

This is how my brain works (or, you know, doesn't) these days. I'm flooded with too many entertainment options. And I didn't even add in the parts where there are other human beings involved, either on the phone, in the living room, berating me to come outdoors, or playing the computer game online with me. It's just too much for my poor innocent brain to sort through.

I don't know how people do it and manage to keep, like, their kitchen clean, and the clothes ironed, and non-burnt food on the table. Maybe one of these days I'll develop an amazing multitasking algorithm to handle it all, but probably not. My algorithm skills sucked in college.

1 comment:

yoni cohen :: http://yocohoops.com said...

Jason:

Came across your blog today. Glad you enjoy March Madness. But sorry to hear you're a Duke supporter.

Noticed you are a college basketball fan. Hoping you could kindly add a blogroll link to my College Basketball Blog, http://collegeball.blogspot.com. I'd greatly appreciate a permanent link on your site.

And would gladly return the favor, adding a link from my site to yours.

Thanks!

Yoni Cohen, College Basketball Blog
http://collegeball.blogspot.com