Friday, February 11, 2005

American Idiot

Sometimes I seriously wonder how I make it through each day intact.

[Scene: Jason's Place o' Business. There is a television in his boss's office that is always tuned to CNN to track the stock market. Jason's boss is out, and he's in the office running reconciliation reports on the boss's computer.]

CNN Reporter: And next up, they've got one of the best-selling albums of the year and are up for [some sort of award, probably a Grammy or something, I wasn't really paying attention at the time and it's not really vital to the story, I'm just trying to be thorough], we talk with the driving force behind Greenday.

[At this juncture, they start playing some seriously old Greenday. Suddenly it is 1994 in the office. Jason enjoys himself some Greenday, so he sort of bobs along with the music, maybe sings a little under his breath.]

Jason [typing away]: ... it all keeps adding up...think I'm cracking up. [head bob, shoulder tilt]...la la la...

[He finishes the reports, hits print and wanders over to the printer. At this point, the station switches over to the new stuff off of American Idiot. New song, Jason alone, he does a little dance and sing along. Door is closed, who is to know?]

Jason [dancing and sort of hopping in front of the printer, waiting for the job to cycle]: Welcome to a new kind of tension...all la la la...across the la la la nation...

[The job finishes printing out, Jason grabs it off the tray and does a nice dance turn to head back to his office. Stops mid-turn. The door to the office is now open. The building floor manager is standing sort of open-mouthed in the doorway, holding a sheaf of papers in her hand.]

Manager: Umm, I was just dropping these off for you guys to sign...[incredulous stare and uncomfortable silence.]

Jason: Oh! Uh! Yes. [Realizes he is still bobbing his head along to the music. That ended about 15 seconds ago. Stops it.] Well I'll just leave them on the desk here and then go back to my office [and curl up into a little ball under my desk and die.]. Thanks.

Manager [big smile]: Sure. Not a problem.

God, don't you just love Fridays?

----------------------------------

Oh, and I maintain that this is entirely different than the other times that people have caught me dancing and/or singing at inappropriate times. For reasons that will come to me at a later time.

There must be some kind of job where this sort of thing is acceptable, and I refuse to rest until I find it. Because I obviously can't find the will to stop myself of my own accord.

No comments: