Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Work It

Man, I am falling behind. Damn all the shiny and colorful things that distract me so easily. I'll try to make up for it by posting as many boring stories as rapidly as I can.

Speaking of boring stories, for my big three day weekend (thank you bankers, and your complete love of declaring holidays for pretty much anything) I was looking forward to a full schedule of staring blankly at televised football games and eating junk food until I became one with the couch. You know, like ya do.

So of course, I instead took a job working as a beer server at a large professional sports arena. Which is close to the original plan, except that I didn't get to eat anything (let alone junk food) for 12 hours, I didn't get to sit down for 12 hours (let alone on a couch), and I didn't get to watch any football, although I could hear the roar of the crowd who was watching it.

I must say, as jobs go, serving beer at professional sporting events is sort of horrible, and sort of incredibly awesome. Because while it does suck jamming your arm into a bucket of ice water continually for half a day while constantly standing so that you can help people drink through a football loss, there is something to be said for the careful anthropological study of these same football fans.

Seriously, it takes a very interesting and dedicated kind of person to begin drinking at 10:00 in the morning. Especially when it's freakin cold outside and the price of a single drink is more than I generally pay for a six pack. A nice six pack. I had a very real Jane-Goodall-Gorillas-in-the-Texas-Stadium-Mist vibe going on for most of the day.

Plus, for some completely unknown reason, I was very good at getting tips from people. Like, really good. So much so that my stand mates pretty much started pimping me out directly to make a couple of bucks ("Get over there and flex." "Flex, what?" "Nevermind, just get over there and smile at her."). Which I didn't necessarily mind, I do love me some cash, but it really threw a wrench into the whole scientific-observer thing I had going on. It's hard to pretend to be Mr. Impartial Science Guy when you're flirting with 35 year old women in a thinly veiled pretense to part them with an extra 50 cents.

In any case, while I was completely wiped out from all the work (flirting is hard, yo) I did make some excellent cash so I could actually do things this week, and it only took up roughly 1/6 of my weekend. Which left a good 5/6 for Couch Fusion and Football, which will totally be the name of my second album.

Next up: Jason writes an entry about all the books he read last week, because there was way too much action in this entry. Gotta slow it down a bit.

No comments: