Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Wherein I Learn an Important Lesson About Myself

So I was reading over the last few entries I wrote, and I was all "Man, why do I always talk about so much gay stuff?" And I vowed to come up with something totally normal and mainstream and interesting.

And then got two paragraphs deep into a discussion about how much I want to get highlights in my hair before I realized something:

I am never going to be a normal boy.

-------------------

Yeah, I really want to get some highlights. My hair has passed its tipping point from mildly shaggy, to unbearably long. And I don't do long hair. It just looks horrible on me, it doesn't curl or arrange itself artfully around my face, it gets long and bushy and starts flailing out in all directions. Give it one more week and I'll start to get that mullet flip going on in the back, too.

But, as I was discussing with Frank yesterday, long straightened hair is very "in" right now (In my mind it is very Zoolander - "Long hair, it's so hot right now.") and if I actually got some nice lighter streaks going on... the possibilities are endless. The main problem being, I suck at getting haircuts. I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for someone that not only could cut my hair properly, but also color it. At this point, I'm just looking for someone who isn't certifiably crazy.

As this discussion was taking place in Blockbuster (otherwise known as My Second Home) I pointed out that two of the employees there have the exact kind of haircut I am looking for, highlights and all. I really wanted to ask one of them where they get their hair done at, but seriously, I cannot think of a gayer thing to say, short of asking them if they want to go make-out in the Community Favorites aisle.

Although as Frank pointed out, when checking us out at the counter the guy did feel the need to announce to the entire store our selections ("Glory Road and The L Word - Season 1, Volume 3!") so really, it would have been a lateral move, gay-wise, asking him about highlight selections.
So yeah, it's such a conundrum. Get a normal haircut, hopefully from someone who knows what they're doing, or go for the whole deal, coloring and all and pray that it doesn't backfire and I end up looking like a Backstreet Boy reject from 1999? I don't know if I can handle that sort of pressure.

No comments: