Friday, June 16, 2006

Freedom, Coke, and Cell Phones

Only four things today, because I had a very lazy week and didn't actually do anything that wasn't just a ton of work. So many times this week I got home and collapsed on the couch, only to realize later that it was past 7:00 and I hadn't even taken my work shoes off. And I hate my work shoes. That's how bad this week has been.

  1. New haircut looks less bad. But my head does not understand the concept of short hair. I guess it's just used to having a lot of cover, but every time a breeze comes by I get goosebumps all over my scalp. It's so disorienting, especially when it happens while I'm walking. You have no idea how many times I have walked into something this week because I just got a head chill (a head chill is the lesser cousin of a brain-freeze, but without the added enjoyment of ice cream).
  2. Movie Review: Freedomland - A step-by-step walking through of my thought process while watching this movie: Boring, boring, Julianne Moore is a good actress, boring. Samuel Jackson decided to bring it for this movie, eh? More boring, overuse of slow motion, racism, several scenes must have been cut here in the middle. Even more boring, okay that makes no sense. Wow, one intensely good scene. Edie Falco? Really? Oh no she di'n't! Wow, how is this still boring? And it's over. No wait, there's another scene. Now over. No wait! One more scene. Now over. Maybe? No. Now? Okay.

    Please don't rent this movie, it makes you tired and isn't remotely interesting.
  3. Thing Review: Coca Cola w/Coffee - No, this is not something that I just made up in my basement or whatever, this is an actual product offered by a multinational corporation. It is also the most vile thing I have ever put in my mouth. I love coffee. I love Coke. But never the twain shall meet. Because seriously. This is the worst invention EVER. Whoever designed this should be shot. No questions. It will be natural selection at its finest. We must think in terms of good of mankind.
  4. Book Review: Cell, Steven King - I can't decide if I love this book, or hate it. I think it's one of those love/hate things where it means that I actually really like it a whole lot. In it's favor: Tons of gore, fast paced, zombies!, compelling writing like you only get from Steven King. Against it: None of the usual extensive character studies and background that usually means Steven King, short by his standards, rather abrupt ending, a surprising lack of character attachment, mildly ludicrous plot (which can be forgiven, considering it is about a cell phone pulse that turns everyone who hears it into a zombie).

    I really enjoyed the plot and pacing to a good degree, especially in the beginning, but there is a shift in the book about 200 pages in, where in his older works you would get the ramp up into the pulpy middle before the ridiculous denouement. And instead we get an abrupt ending to part two, and then a ramp up into a slightly disappointing and vaguely trifling ending.

    Still genuinely creepy, sufficiently gory and King-ish, just not the best thing in the world. I am very looking forward to his next book, though. I really liked that handwritten excerpt thing at the end of this one. I'm glad he's having a retirement full of writing. Good for him.

-------------------------

I have nothing else to say to any of you, except that I plan on taking this weekend off in earnest. Have fun.

Also, Go Mavs! For the love of God, Go Mavs. You are giving me a heart attack.

1 comment:

erin said...

i totally should have held my cell phone out to steven when i saw him and just ask him why?!?!