Monday, June 12, 2006

Hair and Vehicular Homicide

5 Days Later

Well it is done. I have neatly sidestepped all the hair issues and questions of highlights in the most straightforward way possible: I just cut it all off, real-world-Matrix-style minus the helpful head-jack. Which is as close to truth in advertising as you can get - My scalp is pretty much on display, in all its glorious oddly shaped pointiness. This harkens back to my early college years during the time when I was still rebelling against my high school days of really ugly long-hairedness. It has yet to be determined if this will usher in a similar return to overly wordy prose and a tendency for very emo behavior. All signs point to yes, though.

Mostly its just convenient, as it is already the summer of wicked hotness (4 straight days over 100 degrees) and my TOM still lacks what polite society calls 'Air Conditioning.' Also, this saves precious minutes in the morning trying to tame the residual bed head - even combed my hair still looks like I just rolled out 5 minutes ago. Already, though, I am very conscious of my ears. They're just so big and out there.

---------------------

Speaking (earlier) of the TOM, I did get a good bit of work done on the malfunction, but it was very 2 steps forward, 18 steps back. Oil was successfully changed without anyone dying in the process, fuel injector cleaned to hopefully forestall any further ugly scenes with ignition and whatnot, and the air conditioning was treated to work for a couple of days. All accomplished without grievous injury to my person, although at one point my face was covered with Freon and I thought I might have gone blind.

But in retribution the TOM managed to throw it all back in my face, as the compressor seemingly failed halfway through my weekend adventures and started shooting super-heated air out of the vents in an attempt to melt my skin off Raiders-of-the-Lost Ark-style. Eventually it kicked back in, but the air conditioning treatment is now gone. Sum total of air conditioned time in the TOM: 44 minutes. Good times. And the car died twice this morning at stop lights on the way to work.

------------------------

In seemingly unrelated news, I'm going car shopping later on this week. Isn't that eerie?
(More news later, I'm currently swamped.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So when you described your ears as "big and out there" were you channeling Sir Mixalot's "Baby Got Back"?

Becky