Friday, February 17, 2006

Smooth

I cannot flirt to save my life. As it goes, I spend the majority of my life around people I am interested in trying to make sure that I don't come off creepy and insane; there is no time available to flirt. Plus, whenever I do try, it comes off as horrible and fake, like a socially inept 14 year old girl trying to talk to her senior crush in front of his locker.

Ahem. What I'm saying is, I'm a little awkward in the real world. As you may know.

------------------------------

So yesterday I got home from work and went to check my mail before hitting the apartment, as is my way. On the approach to the mailbox, I happen by this cute guy who is walking his ginormously-even-cuter dog. (Thing the First that you should know about me - a guy with a cute dog is instantly 50 time more attractive to me than one without. I am weak like that.) The dog proceeds to try to eat my face with the power of friendship and dog slobber, and thus we are forced into at least polite conversation.

As I continue on my way, now weighing at least 5 additional pounds from all the saliva, we engage in what I come to suspect is actually flirting. I mean, I've never actually worked it out firsthand, but I imagine this interaction is what flirting would feel like. There is banter, and mild entendre, and more than necessary eye contact, and smiling.

I can dig it.

I get to the mailbox, pop in the key, and yank out all the mail. Which on this day consists of exactly one item: The Victoria's Secret Valentines Catalogue. (Disclosure: it is addressed to LaSister, who used to live with me, but had yet to have her mail forwarded.) As one would expect, this item is huge, pink, and features a mostly naked woman on the cover.

Now, like I said, I don't have a lot of firsthand knowledge of flirting, but I'm pretty sure nothing in the world can kill off some innocuous homosexual flirting like the sudden appearance of the Victoria's Secret catalogue in one of the banterer's hands. Cute Guy and his Cute Dog were gone in one of those cartoon-like puffs of smoke and I was left standing out in the park next to my apartment wondering exactly when God decided he hated me.

"It's...uh...not mine?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry....but you need to post, maybe an account of humorous adventures in Louisville? -Becky

erin said...

God doesn't hate you, he just has a seriously bad sense of humor :|

Believe me I know.

Anonymous said...

Where can i obtain really good victoria secret discount coupons?
i'm gonna order a victoria secret swimsuit however it is expensive so how shud i get a discount code on the internet to reduce the amount of momey i must spend?