Thursday, November 08, 2007

Rice Vs. Vocabulary

Have you heard about Free Rice?

It's an online vocabulary game that donates 10 grains of rice to the WFP for every word that you correctly identify the definition of. It's pretty cool, in that you can do something good for the world (in a completely non-participatory way), and I really like that it strengthens the correlation between literacy and societal awareness.

But mostly, omigosh, I am obsessed with getting my Vocabulary Level up. Because I like to think of myself as pretty well-read, but I'll be damned if I can't get past level 45. It is destroying my way of life, and I swear this site is trying to make up words. I mean: "Nonesuch?" Isn't that the fake thing from Huckleberry Finn that they used to scam that one town? Or did I recently suffer a stroke?

Still, you should go play. Vocabulary is awesome. And won't you think of the children?

(But also, when you're thinking of the children try not to think of all the grains of rice that you are potentially depriving them of when you miss a word. Especially the easy ones. It will just make you sad.)

No comments: