Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Small Damn Music Blog

Year end round-up posts are so cliche. And yet, I just can't stop myself. It's fun. And easy!

With less ado, this is my breakdown of the best albums released in 2006. Obviously it is wickedly subjective (as all such lists are) but even more so than usually, because I didn't listen to a ton of new music this year. I think I had a total of 18 new albums, which I have oh so impressively whittled down to a top 10 (really 11). Amazing, no? (As always, album must have been technically released in the 2006 calendar year for eligibility)

10. The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers - More difficult than your normal rock/guitar/alt band, with only the single "Steady As She Goes" being really accessible and radio friendly. Over all, though, it's an excellent album, if a little short (clocks in just over half an hour). As usual Jack White (half of The White Stripes) continues to impress me with final products that are better than the individual parts. Lends itself very easily to multiple listenings and so far has aged very well on my iPod. Best song: (Tie) "Steady As She Goes" / "Blue Veins"

9. Christina Aguilera: Back to Basics - Ambitious. That's really the only word I can use to describe it. She tries really hard, succeeds in some cases, fails in others. Gains big points for her good catchy songs ("Ain't No Other Man" / "Candyman"), and for reaching for some range on interesting quieter numbers ("Save Me From Myself"). Loses points for: even more power ballads (enough!), and carnival barkers (just say no to clowns!). So-so overall points, but that doesn't mean I don't listen to it constantly. Best song: "Save Me From Myself"

8. Paolo Nutini: These Streets - My obscure plug for today. I love everything about this CD: his voice on the solo stuff, how well the whole ensemble band pieces fit in with the style of the album, the general - (what's the word, wistfulness? naivety?) - vibe that oozes from the entire set. Again, it's a little short, and a little too laid back to be the best thing in the world, but one of my favorite things to just have on. Comforting. Best song: "Million Faces"

7. (tie) Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Show Your Bones - This is a really good CD. I keep having to remind myself of that. Invariably, though, when I pull out the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, I always go to Fever to Tell, one of my favoritiest albums ever, so this one always gets pushed out of the way. But forgiving the sin of it not being FtT, it's a great accomplishment. More listenable, more mature sounding, and some unbeatable tracks. Best song: "Phenomena"

The Strokes: First Impressions of Earth - It gets a tie with Show Your Bones, because I could basically write the exact same thing as above, only replace 'Fever to Tell' with 'Is This It?'. This is still an amazing CD. As with all Strokes CDs, after a bit it all tends to blend a little, but for good music, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better. Best song: "Juicebox"

6. Lily Allen: Alright, Still - Import British pop. A little light rap ("Knock 'Em Out"), some itchy pop ("Shame for You"), and some simple, pretty standards. Sometimes an album doesn't have to be groundbreaking and stunning to be great. I have nothing that really makes this CD stand out wildly, but it's had a longer continuous rotation in my iPod than anything else currently. Best Song: "Knock 'Em Out," which is just amazingly infectious.

5. Orson: Bright Idea - I'll be brief here, since I pimped this thing uncontrollably when it came out, but this CD puts me in a better mood than basically anything ever. Pure pop/rock that tosses me into a seriously happy/nostalgic place. Best Song: "No Tomorrow"

4. The Dresden Dolls: Yes, Virginia... - There is no explanation for my fanaticism for The Dresden Dolls. They're a throwback cabaret duo (girl on piano, guy on rhythm) and frankly, everything about both of their albums is pretty creepy. Yes Virginia is their newer album, three years in the making, and it sort of knocks my socks off, despite songs about: Nazi sympathizers, sex changes (multiple songs, people), and masturbation. It's a very mature album, and Amanda Palmer's voice is very powerful despite it's unconventional sound. The album never falls off the rails, even though you constantly expect it. And bonus: I'm always vaguely skeeved out every time I listen to it. But no matter what, I'm completely hooked. Best Song: "Shores of California"

3. Bitter:Sweet: The Mating Game - Do I babble on about sweet eletronica/smooth jazz/shy girl fronted bands too much? It sure seems like I do, what with all the Imogen Heap, Roisin Murphy, etc mess I've always got going on. But this CD is like the culmination of all of those in one perfect package. It's all the potential of Murphy with the polish of Heap and their own perfect spin on electronica/jazz with some perfect hooks. Any other year this would be my #1 album in a walk. Best song: "Mating Game"

2. The Elected: Sun, Sun, Sun - The most unexpected album of the year. I was a small fan of Rilo Kiley, which is why I picked this up in the first place, but now I'm a huge fan of The Elected. Road trip pop/blues, with enough country involved that I feel a little dirty. They use a slide guitar! I mean come on. But seriously, such a perfect album. I don't even have words to describe. Best song: "Fireflies in a Steel Mill"

1. Regina Spektor: Begin to Hope - Yeah yeah, I know half the people in the world hate her music. The other half seem to tolerate it. And then there is me, who is obsessed with it all. I love this album with reckless abandon. For the cheery pop songs that are amazing and easily accessible ("Fidelity", "On the Radio"), and for the deeper, heavier songs that take a while to really appreciate ("Apres Moi", "Field Below"). When you add in the bonus disc that came with the original release, it really is an amazingly complete album. And I'm not just saying that because I have a huge crush on her. Probably. Best song: "Hotel Song," if I have to pick just one. Big love for "Summer in the City" too, though.

No comments: