Friday, September 29, 2006

Drinky

Next week Devon (my cohort in apathy and slacking) and myself are heading out on a grand weekend adventure to St. Louis, Missouri, courtesy of several people (including, but not limited to: Mark Cuban, my boss's husband, and a 4th circuit court supreme justice). Once in St. Louis, we shall meet up with another friend of ours, Jim (who doesn't have a handy blog I can link to anymore, grrr!) and our normal merriment will proceed. Which mostly means we will frequent every bar available and try really hard not to get arrested for public intoxication.

(Umm, we will also go to a science museum or something. And I'm totally not just saying that because my Mom now potentially reads this blog. Totally. And on an unrelated note, if my mother is reading this, she can feel free to ignore everything else that is said in this entry.)

In honor of my upcoming Weekend of Reliving My Youth Through Drinking and Sightseeing (WRMYTDS, for short) I'm going to have a quick countdown of my 5 favorite drinks of the alcoholic nature, each of which I will try to consume at least one of during WRMYTDS.

Because I have absolutely nothing to talk about today. Mmmm, Absolut-ly...

Note: This is not a list of my favorite liquors, which is another topic entirely, this is a list of drinks which I might order, either at a restaurant or a bar. Drinks that I can make myself do get additional bonus points in consideration, but as I am a lousy drink maker, you probably won't see them reflected here.

#5 - Irish Car Bomb (recipe) - This one gets on the list sheerly on entertainment value. Usually anything that contains Whiskey and/or Guiness and needs to be chugged is immediately disqualified from coming near my lips. And yet, on both occassions that I have had these, I can't help but admit that they are crazy delicious. Sort of smoky, and creamy, and will mess you up in incredibly short order. I equate them to liquid death, but somehow they are still way up there in my mind in terms of Strange Things I Love to Drink.

#4 - Mudslide (recipe) - I know it's not so much an actual drink, more like a dessert, but it has alcohol in it so I believe it technically counts, in terms of master lists of alcohol. Especially since I'm the one who gets to make up the rules. Umm, so yeah, the drink. Chocolate. Frosty. Kahlua. Banana for flavor. An adult chocolate milk shake. There is nothing bad anyone can say about a mudslide, except for the unusually high caloric value when compared to other sources of liquor.

#3 - French Martini (recipe) - The French Martini has a lot of things going for it. 1) It's classy (anything in a martini glass that is not neon colored is classy), 2) It is incredibly alcoholic (as all martinis are), 3) It has less of an edge than a traditional martini, 4) with the added bonus of pineapple and raspberry. Oh, and did I mention that they're delicious? There's that too. It is however, a little fruity to order, so it loses some points there. But come on, is there really any drink that is too fruity for me to order? I am, like, the king of all things fruity.

#2 - Long Island Iced Tea (recipe) - The traditional standby for all things alcoholic. Pretty much combines every possible liquor into a single glass (with Coke!), is readily available at every drinking establishment in the world, and if prepared properly, tastes better than 95% of all drinks out there. The only thing keeping this from the top is the numer of really bad Long Island makers out there. You're much more likely to get a bad one than a good one, which has to be considered in a drink ranking.

#1 - Southern Comfort Hurricane (recipe) - My love for Southern Comfort runs deeply and swiftly through my heart. In that aforementioned list of top liqours, it easily would hold the top spot. I like the kick it provides, I like the edge it puts on a drink, and I like that it only takes about two shots of it to make me giddy. The SoCo Hurricane is the best of all worlds, it is sweet and citrus-y with just the right amount of edge behind it. Good both frozen or on the rocks, and it comes in a fashionable hurricane glass and potentially has the tiny drink umbrella that I love. And we've already covered the potenital pitfalls of the fruity aspect earlier. Pure win, this drink.

Anything I missed there? I think that's a pretty complete list, for immediate purposes. Anyone have additional recommendations for sampling during the WRMYTDS?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did forget to mention for you mom you would be going up the cool arch...... perhaps that should be the first thing on friday, i don't think the ride up or down would be very fun hungover, although slightly buzzed might work



Jim

Anonymous said...

I love a good Girl Scout cookie shot-- creme de menthe, creme de cacao and bailey's. If made right, it's like melted mint chocolate chip ice cream!

-Becky

Anonymous said...

southern comfort is one of the greatest drinks ever! on a cold winter night- buy a flask, put it in the freezer, take it out and chug it. its sooooo smooth and it warms your belly till your dizzy hulk drunk. enjoy st. louis jason!