Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Sprawled

I love my office at work. I actually have two of them, one is a professional office with a desk and a big chair and everything, and one is a workroom office with the copier and supplies and what have you. I don't spend a lot of time over in the real office, because so much of my time is devoted to working with the files, it just makes sense to base myself out of the workroom.

As such, I've got a pretty nice set up in there, with two computers, the copier, two phone lines, and the mail machine all within arms length, or at least within rolling distance on my office chair. Because I do tend to maximize the rolling functionality of my chair, we have set up several of those carpet protector mats all over the floor in the office, so's I don't destroy anything or leave unsightly marks all about. These mats are carefully placed to allow maximum coverage where I roll, while still looking tasteful. I mean to say, I have given excessive thought to their placement.

Over the long weekend, the cleaning crew at the office (who are awesome, in general) decided to be extra thorough and they did a full vacuum/shampoo of the whole floor, or at least our wing. Which apparently included pulling up all my mats and later replacing them. I was unaware of this when I came in on Tuesday - to give you an indication of how good they are, I couldn't even tell their mat placement from my own.

That is, until about 1:15 when I made a big move to roll across my office to answer the secondary phone. Because they did not replace the third mat where it usually was. Instead, there was a big overlap at one point, and no mat at all at another point. Which would never be a problem, unless you are lazy like me and tried to roll across the length of the office.

I hit the overlap first, which caused me to spin halfway around in the chair. At the time, I was holding a huge file folder in one hand and a stack of papers in the other, so I couldn't properly reach out to steady myself. Following the half spin, the chair hit the absence of mat and promptly sent the chair and myself flying, backwards mind you, in a brilliant somersault that left the upper half of me lying outside the door to my office, and the bottom half smashed into the copier, with the stack of papers in disarray around me.

Have you ever heard the sound that someone makes when they fall out of a moving chair with their hands full and slam knees first into a copier? Because it is earth-shatteringly loud. I work basically by myself, I have no co-workers in my office, just other people at the far end of the hall who work in a different business but on the same floor. The noise of my fall sent all of them running down to my office, certain that some sort of mail bomb had gone off. Instead, they found me on the ground, covered in paper, holding my knee, next to an overturned rolling chair.

I know exactly what you're thinking, and yes it was completely awesome, thanks for asking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jason Im looking for sites with information about dallas carpet cleaning and found your site. Even though Sprawled is different than what i was looking for I found it intresting i see why your blog got my attention when i was looking for dallas carpet cleaning related blogs I am glad I stopped by even though its not a perfect match Great Post! I enjoyed it Great Read! I have a Carpet Cleaning Company with a pretty good website dallas carpet cleaning it has some good information on on carpet stains and pet odor if you ever need some advice on those things.
Thanks again
Sterling Myers

Anonymous said...

Hello Jason Im looking for sites with information about carpet cleaning dallas and found your site. Even though Sprawled is different than what i was looking for I found it intresting i see why your blog got my attention when i was looking for carpet cleaning dallas related blogs I am glad I stopped by even though its not a perfect match Great Post! I enjoyed it Great Read! I have a Carpet Cleaning Company with a pretty good website carpet cleaning dallas it has some good information on on carpet stains and pet odor if you ever need some advice on those things.
Thanks again
Sterling Myers