Monday, October 17, 2005

Circles

In my continuing sporadic efforts to gain (regain? maybe.) some fitness of body, I've taken up a daily running routine. Considering that it's been a full 8 days that I've managed to chain together, this may actually be something I keep up with.

Only, I am crap at running. Utterly. It's like my body rejects any full body movement. I get this really unhealthy flush about my head, and the odds are pretty good that I'll throw up immediately following, assuming I don't grievously injure myself during the process. As such, I am very paranoid about all forms of running.

Once upon a time, I was in high school. And in that time, my friend Brint and I thought it would be a lark to try out for the track team our senior year. Would shake things up, plus we were thin and fast - should be easy, no?

Because of our other geeky obligations (Hello Mock Trial!) our first track practice had to be late on a Monday night, rather than immediately following school like everyone else. (This turns out to be very lucky in just a second here) The first exercise after the stretching was 10 quick 100 yard sprints. Just something to warm up before the actual practice began.

Maybe 30 yards into the very first sprint, running as fast as possible down the track, I manage to trip, fall, and skid another 10 yards before coming to a bloody halt and ending my track and field career at exactly 27 strides taken. The end result was that a good 10th of the entire surface of my skin was removed - mostly from my left side, arm, and leg. I still have a visible scar on my hip from the worst portion of it (where there was practically no skin left) and the emotional scars remain with me to this day.

In terms of clumsy accidents I've had, this was probably the most damaging one, by blood loss counts at least, that I ever had, and as such, I have taken many precautions never to let it happen again. Now whenever I have need to run, it is always at a nice leisurely pace and never a crazy dash. Plus, y'know, I try not to run.

Which sort of flies in the face of this whole running program I've got going on now.

Anyways, it's been going okay, so far I've only thrown up on one occasion after the running which is a remarkably low number, all things considered.

On Sunday, midway through the run I got a cramp in my side and somehow during the near-fall-and-body-mangling managed to rip my iPod off my body and lob it backwards a good 10 feet into the bushes. BUT I did not fall down. Which, yeah, is a little disconcerting, over all. 8 days of running without serious or even mild injury?

I hardly know who I am anymore.

No comments: