Sunday, August 01, 2004

My Life in One Word: Sedentary

So this weekend I was supposed to go to Austin for a fun-filled three days of debauchery and whatnot amidst the burnt orange. Instead, my wisdom teeth got all inflamed on Friday and I opted to stay home and lie on my couch bemoaning my fate.

And while I was bemoaning, I watched a bunch of movies. A quick recap of all that went down.

LotR : Return of the King - Wow, so the ending of this movie is even gayer than I remembered. Which is saying a whole lot, because I remembered it being insanely gay. Not that the movie doesn't kick 14 kinds of ass, because it does. But damn, really, really, very gay.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Okay, so these child actors cannot act at all. Some of those line readings physically hurt my brain more than my teeth. Still, not a bad movie, although the ending completely bugs me. Probably because I hate that Hagrid fellow with a passion. Stop applauding, you fools. He's incompetent. Oh well. The snake was pretty cool.

Center Stage - Okay, how much do I love this movie? Yeah, the dancing actors give worse line readings than those kids in Harry Potter. And the ending is the ludicrous and defies the laws of time and space. And they cast Peter Gallagher as a former great ballet dancer. But come on! Dance. What. You. Feel. So much over the top fun.

By late Saturday night, the pain in my teeth had subsided, so I went out to see a movie, you know, just to mix it up a little.

A Home at the End of the World - Man, I just don't know. The first third of the movie was so freaking awesome. (Highlighted by the fact that 15 minutes in two old couples bolted from the theatre, realizing that this movie contained *gasp* godless sodomites! Way to read the synopsis before you got in the theatre. Not.) The rest of the movie was still very good, but weird and sort of depressing. It made me sad in a way that a movie hasn't in a long time. Which says something good about it, I suppose. Plus it has some really funny lines and the story is all sorts of complex and interesting. I wish they had explained Sissy Spacek's character more, since she sort of got lost in the end.

Oh, and shut up Vulnerable and Sexy Colin Farrell. I have a very well defined hate-filled image of you and I don't need you screwing it up by playing wounded, sweet, hot guys in independent films. (This also applies equally to Subdued and Cute Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.) But if you want to make out, I guess I can make an exception.

Right, the movie.

So yeah, good but indescribably sad-making. (Especially at the end, when he actually makes a decision, and I was all "good for him, he finally did something for himself" and then I thought about it and realized that he didn't do it for himself, it was just more of the same, and then man was I depressed all over again.)

Aaaaanyways.

That was my weekend. Today I played video games and beat that stupid Mario game which has been haunting me for the past couple of weeks, read the paper, and plan on watching more TV as the day goes on. Damn if my life ain't as full as they come.

No comments: