Monday, September 17, 2007

Save Me, TV!

I've been meaning to do this for weeks now, but I keep getting distracted. So back in May I did an upcoming fall TV preview, but now that I've had a whole summer to follow the news and watch some of the pilots, I can come up with a real fall TV schedule to follow.

Obviously it's just a rough guideline, as it usually only takes 2 weeks before the entire carefully mapped plan is shot to hell, but it's fun to try and guess which things will/won't suck.

Monday!
What to Watch:
  • How I Met Your Mother (CBS 7:00-7:30) - Don't make me explain why again. Just do it. Many Moore is guest starring in the first episode!
  • Aliens in America (CW 7:30-8:00) - I'm still incredibly doubtful about this show (incredibly) but I've had two different people tell me that it's way better than it should be. Since there's nothing else vying for it's timeslot it gets a watch for a while.
  • Heroes (NBC 8:00-9:00) - Because it was the best new show last year that was not about Texas football, and it should hopefully acquit itself well in a second season (but will probably end up sucking).
  • Journeyman (NBC 9:00-10:00) - I really doubt this will keep my interest beyond a couple of episodes, but the previewing stuff I've seen thus far makes it look at least solid. Filler, but well produced filler.

What to Tape:

  • Chuck (NBC 7:00-8:00) - This actually looks good. Really good. Color me crazy shocked. It would get priority over basically anything, except it manages to conflict with my favorite show in the world, so sorry about that computer nerd - you're regulated to the VCR. I fully expect to get bored with Journeyman by week three and putting Chuck in its place, though.
  • Samantha Who? (ABC 8:30-9:00) - I get conflicting reports, and the fact that the name has changed during the summer is a little worrying, but I'll follow Christina Applegate for a little while. It's on a very short leash, though, because I'm already booked solid for Mondays.

Also Rans:

  • The Big Bang Theory - In a fall full of horrible new shows, this may well be the worst of the lot. So, so, so bad. Hopefully the pilot was just a fluke of horrible, but no. Watch out.
  • K-Ville - I've heard good things, actually, but have not an ounce of desire to see this show. Feel free to use your own judgement there.

Tuesday!
What to Watch:

  • Biggest Loser (NBC 7:00-8:00) - Okay, not that you should watch this, just that I am watching this. (Full disclosure, y'all. We have no secrets here.) It's such a ridiculous and inane show, but it's compelling in exactly that reality TV way that gets to me (see also: America's Next Top Model). Also it helps to be on a night when there's nothing else on.
  • Reaper (CW 8:00-9:00) - After further consideration, I'm way more excited about this show than I was. It also helps that Fox burned all those extra episodes of The Loop over the summer and I developed a crush on Bret Harrison. After the announcement that they're kinda bringing back Dead Like Me next summer, I'm really big on all three "interacting with dead people" TV shows. Is that weird?

What to Tape: N/A

Also Rans:

  • Cavemen - The only thing worth noting about this show is whether or not it will wrest the title of worst new show away from The Big Bang Theory or not. Ugh.
  • Carpoolers - This one is sort of an enigma, because the pilot has some funny lines in it, and some vaguely nice chemistry among the cast. But the premise looks dumb and painfully stereotypical. Pass. Sorry Jerry O'Connell. Man, Sliders sure was a long time ago, wasn't it?
  • Cane - I feel like I should watch this (first you get the sugar, then you get the power...) but all the previews have left me incredibly cold. I might tune in once or twice, just to make sure I'm not missing anything.
  • House - I still don't get it. Every week it's the same goddamn thing. Namely - "You're risking a patient's life!"

Wednesday!
What to Watch:

  • Pushing Daisies (ABC 7:00-8:00) - Still love, still want to watch so hard. And now I realize that I actually recognize almost the entire cast, but they're all just Hey It's That Guy types. Anyways, this even takes precedence over Tyra and ANTM, so you know I must be excited.
  • Private Practice (ABC 8:00-9:00) - Damn you Kate Walsh! Always getting me sucked in. I have little doubt that this show will suck in short order, but I'm still giving it a shot. I should have my head examined.
  • Dirty Sexy Money (ABC 9:00-10:00) - It's been far too long since I've been sucked in by a night-time crazy soap opera. Hopefully this will be good. Please be good.

What to Tape:

  • America's Next Top Model (CW 7:00-8:00) - Despite being my top priority guilty pleasure, it gets delegated to taped status. Sorry show. Stay fabulous.

Also Rans:

  • Kid Nation - I kinda want to watch it after all the controversy, but can't imagine it being good, even for the camp/child endangerment factors. Y'all let me know how it turns out, okay?
  • Bionic Woman - I won't lie, the previews are actually pretty tempting. If the Private Practice sucks I'm going to be jumping ship here or to -
  • Gossip Girl - who's preview seems to be nothing but trash, except it might be trashy in a good way. That "might" should be bolded, italicized, and in giant font, though.

Thursday!
What to Watch:

  • Ugly Betty (ABC 7:00-8:00) - Good for America Ferrera and her Emmy win. A good show that I hope keeps up its momentum (Real quick aside on the Emmys: I wish that Michael Urie had been nominated for Supporting Actor, and really wish that Neil Patrick Harris had won it. Jeremy Piven? Pardon my language, but fuck that.)
  • Grey's Anatomy (ABC 8:00-9:00) - Oh Grey's. You're hanging by a thread. Stray but a little, and your out like the bag of garbage in my kitchen that should have been tossed at least a week ago. Just so you know.
  • Tim Gunn's Guide to Style (Bravo 9:00-10:00) - Until they finally get around to putting out Season 4 of Project Runway, I need to get my Tim Gunn fix somewhere.

What to Tape:

  • Survivor: China (CBS 7:00-8:00) - Did anyone else watch last season? It was really, really good. How weird was that? I'm not sure if I'll religiously watch, but I'll at least keep in the loop on the show.
  • The Office (NBC 8:00-8:30) - Second most anticipated show in my mind. Only getting taped because I'm not feeling the Scrubs lately so if I watch Grey's when it actually airs, I can avoid an additional half hour of TV watching. Plus, then I get to have The Office on tape to watch over and over again.

Also Rans:

  • 30 Rock - Actually, everything else on this night is completely forgettable or returning, but I wanted to throw a little note in here to say that 30 Rock is super funny and if I wasn't already booked I would be pushing this show hard. As it is I'm really hoping this will be one of those shows you can catch on the internets so I won't have to miss it. Genuinely hilarious.

Friday!
What to Watch:

  • Friday Night Lights (NBC 8:00-9:00) - I get twitchy with excitement for this show's return. I hate that it's on Fridays, since I never watch TV on Friday, but I love it enough that I'll make an exception.

What to Tape:

  • Women's Murder Club (ABC 8:00-9:00) - Oh, you would schedule the only two interesting shows on Friday at the same time, wouldn't you? I'm weirdly looking forward to this one.

Also Rans:

  • Moonlight - Vampire detective not named Angel, and not written by Joss Whedon. Epic Fail. Incidentally, the pilot sucks eggs.

Sunday!
What to Watch:

  • The Simpsons (FOX 7:00-7:30) - It'll be on forever, I am powerless to its charms.
  • King of the Hill (FOX 7:30-8:00) - Watching this show in syndication, it really holds up well over time. In lots ways, it's been stronger than The Simpsons over the past several seasons.
  • Brothers and Sisters (ABC 9:00-10:00) - I've finally been won over by all the supporters, I'll at least give it a try. I've heard there is boykissing.

What to Tape: N/A

Also Rans:

  • Desperate Housewives - Not even Nathan Fillion can bring me back. That really shouldn't be possible, but really, that's how over this show I am.
  • Viva Laughlin - After all my hopes and anticipation, it's bad. Tragic bad. Let's all shed a single tear, and then move on.

--------------------

Now I go back over that list and realize that I'm totally screwed, as this new lame digital cable means that I can't tape one show and watch another at the same time. Man, Time Warner sucks so hard. Anyways, that's the gameplan. Follow along and see how wildly off my predictions are!

1 comment:

Sean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.