Monday, November 07, 2005

Old and Prosaic

Now that I'm nice and old (just short of a quarter-century, now), I had planned on waiting until there was something of actual import to write, rather than just blathering on at the fingers to get something down, so it doesn't look like I've fallen off the face of the earth. With age should come discretion and the good sense of when to speak.

But that just doesn't wash. Normal weekend ramblings commence now.

In no particular order:
  • Went to the Pigskin Review (yearly SMU band homecoming concert) which was delicious in musicality, if not in food. Other good things included an open bar, actual funny comedy, and a banjo, all of which added up into a totally enjoyable experience. I also got a new CD and managed to pretend to dance to a polka without falling once, which is a mini-miracle in itself.
  • Saw Jarhead, which was good but taught me nothing except that I spend a little too much time nowadays focusing on perceived homosexual subtexts in everything I watch. Because...seriously. Bunch of marines in the desert and a mostly naked Jake Gyllenhaal? They make it too easy for me. Also, Peter Sarsgaard is a really good actor. Not that you necessarily need me to tell you that, but still.
  • I bought Mario Dance Dance Revolution, because I love both DDR and Mario games with an unhealthy passion. Plus the review basically spoke directly to me: "With a short story mode that serves as a fun, linear introduction to sequential stomping, Mario Mix is suitable for a child, or for an uncoordinated friend."(emphasis mine, obviously) Because come on, if ever there was an endorsement for a game made with me in mind...

Later on there will be a discussion on exactly how much being old sucks, but it will have to wait until I get all my notes in order. The mind isn't what it used to be, you know.

No comments: