Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Dead to Me

So yesterday when I got out of the dentist's office, I had to head right back into work. As half of my face was completely numb and I am the only one in the office to answer the phones, I imagined it would be just utter fun.

But I found that if I just pulled my tongue very far back into my mouth and moved my lips as little as possible, I could easily be understood, I just had to focus really hard at forming words.

Thus, I get into the office and call my boss to let her know that I am back and busy doing mortgage related things and not slacking off like the slacker that I am. About two minutes into the conversation she asks "So, you went to the dentist for a root canal, right? Didn't they numb you up?" And I was very much, "Uh yeah, that's why I'm talking so funny."

Her response: "Huh. I understand you a million times better right now than when you usually talk."

DEAD TO ME.

-----------------------------------

I look back and realize that I should have seen all of this coming. Several people even commented on it - "You know, you haven't had a major injury in a long time, you're really due for one." And thus as they predicted, I've gotten three in the span of about 2 weeks.

Wait, you say. Three? Burned hand, drilled and throbbing jaw, that's only two.

New major injury update: Monday night I was sitting at my desk, minding my own business and typing away when I went to pull my chair closer to the desk. Somehow I managed to scrape my burned hand on the pointy edge of the desk, ripping all the skin off of my just-then-mostly healed electrical burn. Which not only counted as an ugly injury, it all bled like nothing else and all over everything in my room. I guess the nerves still weren't really responding, because I wasn't actually aware of the injury until I noticed the blood on my keyboard a couple of minutes later. This is not my beautiful life.

Oh, and to top it all off, I don't have any regular bandages in my house to treat the wound. No, I only have the ones that are covered in Scooby Doo characters. Which are, naturally, bright neon green. Nothing says "Professional Mortgage Consultant" like cartoon character Band-Aids.

No comments: