Monday, June 13, 2005

Weekend Media Roundup

Just a quick review of the new media over the weekend to start things off.

The new White Stripes CD is without a doubt one of the most bizarre things I have ever bought. These people are very famous. And it is very good, but individually, there is only one song that I can ever imagine being on the radio. It's a very self contained CD, involving marimbas and much less guitars than you would expect. And I'm sure it's just a design choice showing off their artistic genius and presenting a commentary on the nature of recording a CD or what have you, but nearly every song seems badly mixed. Like, they forgot to tone down the level of guitar on a couple of the songs, or the cymbals will be just out of control all of a sudden.

Still, it's good stuff. A couple of the songs are sort of creepy, though, in a way that only The White Stripes could achieve.

Man, my CD reviews suck. Music...

-------------------------

Mr. & Mrs. Smith is basically a movie designed to appeal to every single person on the planet, no matter who they may be. You've got your Brad Pitt, your Angelina Jolie, your Adam Brody, your big explosions, your huge gun fights, and your semi-charming dialogue. Something for everyone. And while there is no plot beyond the two leads shooting hot glances at each other, that's all you really need to make this movie completely enjoyable.

Yes, it goes on forever. And the plot makes not one lick of sense. But I was completely charmed. At the first sign of Adam Brody, I knew that I was beat. I don't think you can genetically engineer a movie more suited to my tastes than this one. Or, I guess you could, but it would probably not have the widespread appeal the Hollywood is looking for, since Adam Brody would have completely ruined the whole marriage dynamic.

At least this way, all the OC fans got the catharsis of seeing stupid season two Seth get the crap beat out of him with a phone.

We takes our victories where we can gets them.

1 comment:

erin said...

Come on, that White Stripes cd is AWESOME. So is the Oasis cd, good god, I love Lyla. Also the beck and coldplay cds. Ok, it is now obvious that I spent all my money on music lately.