Friday, June 10, 2005

An After-Work Question, If You Will

I'm sorry, but do people really conduct business meetings while in the restroom?

Wait, no, that came out wrong. Because people obviously do conduct business meetings in the restroom, as per the 3 different examples I witnessed today.

New question: WHY do people conduct business meetings in the restroom?

If a guy is in a stall, with the door closed and certain sounds are issuing forth, I think that's more than enough of an indicator that he is probably occupied at the moment. And yet on three different occasions today (I drank a lot of coffee, okay? It was a Friday and I am exhausted.) I walk into the bathroom only to find a high volume conversation going on between a person in the stall and either A) some guy at a urinal reading from a stack of papers in his free hand, or B) a protracted stall-to-stall communication, or C) some guy just freaking standing in the middle of the place, talking to the door.

I can maybe understand A. In an alternate universe where people are naturally weird, maybe you both had to use the facilities at the same time and you just naturally continued your conversation from point A to point B. I do think it's a little weird that you brought the papers along with you, though, Can the meeting really be that important, particularly when the topic appears to be zoning laws? And seriously, you're gonna have to take those papers back with you, buddy. Do you really need a memento of your trip?

And B, I guess it's something of a personal preference. I generally do not want anyone trying to engage me in discourse while I'm doing that sort of business, but I guess there are others out there who are cool with that. Whatever, not a big deal to me, go in peace, brave souls. Maybe it's some sort of bonding ritual.

But C? No no no. You do not follow someone into the bathroom to chat them up, without necessity yourself. It's weird, it's creepy, and it makes it very difficult for me to pee when you are standing a foot away in the middle of the bathroom discussing "the tone that [you] got off of Chuck's email." If you're having a business conversation in the bathroom, it better damn well be a secret communique that you are trying to hide from the opposing counsel, who happens to be a girl. Otherwise, there is no reason you should be all up in my area. A bathroom is a sacred place of peace.

Just yet another reason I am so thankful that I don't have any immediately nearby co-workers. 'Cause people be crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a small restroom by one of the film screening rooms: one urinal, one stall. I was in the stall.. struggling when my professor walks up to the urinal.

It's very very quiet and he's obviously having a bit of trouble too. So it's this intense awkward silence where we could hear each other breathe.

So I decide I'm going to drop someting into the toilet to make it sound like .. well you get the picture. Only it was Carmex and sounded exactly like metal dropping into a toilet, loudly.

Yep. I promptly flushed, zipped, and got the hell out of there. Figured I should share as long as we're telling restroom stories.