Thursday, May 26, 2005

TV Talk

And lo, when the 10 o'clock hour rolled around last night, so ended my year in television watching, with the last of the season finales. And because TV takes up so much of my free time, or is at least on in the background whenever I'm at home, allow me to go in depth with a recap of everything I watched this year with no discernible purpose other than making the clattering noise of many keyboard keys pressed for no good reason. And no one is allowed to make fun of how much TV I actually watch. Vegetables of the world unite!

In vague order of the week:
  • Arrested Development: My love knows no bounds. Although there were 3 episodes that I actively did not like (up from the absolute 0, pure-love fest of Season One), this is such a great show. Its renewal extends my belief in humanity for another 8 months or whatever. And its move to Monday will add some brightness to a truly hideous day. My only request is that they use Maeby more next season, I missed her most of all the characters.
  • Medium: Who knows why I watch this show? It's insane and sort of derivative and although I love her unconditionally, Patricia Arquette sort of bugs. But seriously, I'm all over the irrational love here. Sort of creepy, funny, and nice. Also glad to see it renewed.
  • The Amazing Race: This season nearly killed me, what with it's really good racing marred by some ridiculous leg pacing and the sheer combined weight of all the contestants' moralizing. That being said, it still was my most looked forward to show and continues to hold my personal record for continuous viewing without missing an episode, coming up on, what, 3 seasons now. Actual appointment TV? Shocking.
  • American Idol: I don't actually watch this show, I more just absorb it from Frank and Television Without Pity, although I usually do manage to hear a few of the songs while I'm having Big Dinner Preparation Tuesdays. I developed irrational hatreds and loves for many of the different contestants, which I think is an excellent and disturbing feat, considering how little of the show I saw. Also, I see that Carrie won, which is nice, if only for the fact that it pisses Frank off.
  • Lost: Watched every episode all season, seems like twice what with all the reruns and whatnot. Incredibly lame for never actually revealing a damn thing about anyone or anything ever, but y'know, nice stuff. Passes the time and it's pretty compelling. It's not like I would ever stop watching, but would it really kill them to pick up the pace a touch?
  • Alias: I never actually watch this show, but somehow I'm completely up to date on everything that goes on. In solidarity I watch the last two episodes of the season and was pretty impressed, even if it is a little generic. The old people kick a lot of ass on that show. Lena Olin rules the world.
  • Survivor/The OC: These two get the same slot to encourage me not to go on forever about The OC. I once loved you, but now you're barely hanging on by a thread. The season finale bought you a stay of execution, but so much of this season I was actively hating every single episode so much that I was able to singlehandedly keep up with Survivor on commercial breaks and during bad OC scenes. And Survivor was complete awesomeness all the way through, until we hit the season finale and it was such a trainwreck that I longed for Marissa's gaunt visage on my television. I'm not going to get into my problems with The OC, but quickly: the writing of Seth, the writing of Sandy, the plotting of Kirsten, initially the acting of Marissa, the sheer rage that I generated around the whole lesbian issue, the chucking of Alex and Lindsay, the lack of Theresa, the drinking storyline, and the destruction of the dynamic of Seth and Ryan. Whew. Still, a lot of bright spots and my hope is still strong that they can salvage something manageable for next season.
  • What I Like About You: Nothing to say other than - I love Amanda Bynes, this is the best guilty pleasure show on TV, and I'm ridiculously happy that it was renewed for another season.

That adds up to at least 7 hours of television a week. That seems like a whole lot and it's definitely more than I've ever actually had in a season before. Because we didn't even cover the little things, like the sheer volume of Law & Orders that I'll consume whenever the remote lands on them, or the thousands of Will & Graces by the same principle.

I should definitely get a new hobby.

PS - Oh yeah, I also got the first two seasons of NewsRadio on DVD yesterday. I cannot believe it took this long for my favoritest show ever to make it to DVD, but I am insanely happy. I watched something like 7 episodes last night and laughed so hard I had a headache. Yeah, TV owns me.

No comments: