Monday, August 11, 2008

There are Worse Things than Consumer Weekends

Jason Finance Watch for August

Things Bought:
  • New wireless mouse, complete with scrollwheel and magical laser tracking
  • DVDs of Cloverfield and X-2, on super sale at Best Buy
  • New full size memory foam mattress pad for bed, replacing previous pad that was only for a twin (and also gross and ancient)
  • New 500 thread count sheet set for bed to enhance new pad (and replace the jersey knit sheets that were suffocating me at night)
  • New down comforter to enhance new sheet set
  • Tickets to go see The Hush Sound at The Door tonight (!!)
  • Insurance for my car for the next 6 months (also entitled: Holy Shit, Insurance is Expensive)
Things Not Bought:
  • New wireless keyboard to replace my still working wired one
  • DVD of A Bug's Life, which was only on $5 off sale
  • New pillows to go with abovementioned bed set
  • New duvet cover for same
  • New bedskirt to prevent clashing
  • Tickets to see Ben Folds in October at the Palladium
  • The oil change for my car that was scheduled for last Friday
  • A dog
Overall, I'm pretty happy with the balance struck, between buying and not buying. Particularly since I didn't spend any of my non-essentials budget in July, so if you rollover that amount into this month, I still can be considered on budget.

And also, my bed is now so awesome, it's hard to fathom. And I did it without resorting to spending scads of money on a whole new mattress (which I also really wanted to buy).

Woo consumerism!

No comments: