Thursday, August 14, 2008

Groundbreaking Belligerent & Numerous Olympic Coverage

Okay, so the title's a bit hyperbolic.

Because seriously, I don't know why, but I just have no interest whatsoever in the summer Olympics this year. I tried at first - saw parts of that wild and crazy opening ceremony, then sort of listened in when they were breaking down when which events would happen. And I was totally into it when they showed the early badminton rounds right there on one of the major stations. It definitely revived my lifelong (or since senior year of college) dream of becoming a world-renowned badminton player, but very quickly my interest in the rest of games evaporated. Mostly under piles of sports I couldn't care less about, and touching human interest stories that, as the great Kent Brockman so eloquently once put it, 'pull at the heartstrings and fog the mind.'

AND THEN, once I had already renounced the games, there was that horrible thing with the weightlifter and the destroyed arm (don't go looking for it, I beg you), which I managed to see despite only turning on a TV once this week (and to watch Project Runway, at that). Why the news broadcast that is shown in my office lobby felt the need to give us a slow-mo replay of that is completely beyond my comprehension. But thanks MSNBC. I'm glad that rather than finding out what the Dow was at, I got to view the utter destruction of a man's elbow. That was swell.

Anyways, to recap: not only did I not care about the Olympics, I was actively disgusted with them.

But leave it to network TV to pull out all the stops in finding a way to pique my interest again:

NBC challenge - Guess the Olympic swimmer based on his abs.

Well played NBC. Well played.

No comments: