Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Paring Down, for the Good of Mankind (and Your Brain)

I have gone out into the TV fields, striking down those that disappoint, and nurturing those with promise. Behold the results of the culling! May you delight in the good, join in lament of the fallen, and laugh bitterly at how much I hate Grey's Anatomy now.

Monday!

What to Watch:

  • How I Met Your Mother (CBS 7:00-7:30) - Okay, so this season is going pretty bad so far. It has had its really good moments, but overall the cast isn't quite gelling, and the storylines are way to rushed for a 30 minute block. But stick with it people! It took 6 episodes for Season 2 to get going. Don't worry, there are plenty of good individual lines to keep your faith up. (Confidential to the show: Stop sucking! I told these guys you were cool!)
  • Heroes (NBC 8:00-9:00) - Wow, so the sophomore slump is hitting, and hard. I'm still compelled to watch, but seriously, they need to kick the show back into gear and hard. There was enough repetition in those first three episodes that it realistically was only about 1.5. Also, damn y'all need to work on your green screen scenes. Those were '80s level painful.

Notes from the discarded:

  • Journeyman (NBC 9:00-10:00) - Completely unable to keep my attention. Tried and failed hard.
  • Chuck (NBC 7:00-8:00) - Really not bad at all. Actually funny, and is getting better as the characters are fleshed out. But looking at it realistically, I'm not going to be able to keep up, unless How I Met Your Mother becomes irredeemably bad (Note: This cannot happen. I refuse to consider it.). Maybe I can catch up when things hit reruns? For now, though, it's a sad farewell to cute, cute, ever so cute geeks. And Adam Baldwin.
  • Samantha Who? (ABC 8:30-9:00) - Seriously, I'm not even sure this show ever even came on. Heroes ruined any chance it ever had.

Tuesday!

What to watch:

  • Uhh, yeah, nothing here. Scary.

Notes from the discarded:

  • Biggest Loser (NBC 7:00-8:00) - Still watching, sort of, but not religiously, as they seem to view filler as the primary ingredient of a show, rather than, y'know, things actually happening. Still totally have a crush on the Black Team Trainer, though. She's amazing.
  • Reaper (CW 8:00-9:00) - I... dunno. It's not bad, but that second episode did nothing to earn additional affection after the pilot, and the sidekick guy's antics got old so fast I almost got whiplash. Maybe it will take time to develop. I'll probably give it a couple more shots if I have nothing else to do, but it's not appointment viewing.

Wednesday!

What to Watch:

  • Pushing Daisies (ABC 7:00-8:00) - It started late, so we still only have the pilot to go by, but seriously. Just so good. The dialogue! It lives right here, in my heart. The sweetness might be a bit much over time, but like I've ever let sweetness ruin anything for me.
  • Dirty Sexy Money (ABC 9:00-10:00) - Oh sweet damn. Came out of nowhere, and is literally my favorite new show of the season so far. Donald Sutherland is incredible and the plot gets the perfect mixture of comedy and drama. Heavy emphasis on the comedy. Some seriously unexpected hilarious timing in this cast. There are some flaws, but by far the most promising entry out there.

Notes from the discarded:

  • Private Practice (ABC 8:00-9:00) - The pilot was lame, but made me cry like a little girl. The second episode was painful but better at working with the characters. Then I realised that I couldn't care less about this show and there were tons of other things I'd rather be doing that watching it. That's a bad sign, y'all.
  • America's Next Top Model (CW 7:00-8:00) - Still watching, but during rerun times, as it conflicts with Pushing Daisies. It looks like it could be a good cycle. Makeovers are soon!
  • Gossip Girl (CW 8:00-9:00) - This is what you should be watching instead of Private Practice. Hilarious and awesome in just that trashy way we were hoping for. But the ratings have been so bad I refuse to get sucked in just to have it pulled out from under me. Damn you Shonda Rhimes! Is there no end to the things you will ruin? (see: Thursday)

Thursday!

What to Watch:

  • Ugly Betty (ABC 7:00-8:00) - YES! Finally a returning show that came back strong and is actively getting better. Sooo good.
  • The Office (NBC 8:00-8:30) - Oh man. Everything I could have hoped for. Although the hour long format is way too much. It's a much better show at 30 minutes - tighter, more focused, less prone to overkill. But still absolutely hilarious throughout every episode so far. Plus, the Jim/Pam thing was almost enough to kill me dead. I love them so much.

Notes from the discarded:

  • Grey's Anatomy (ABC 8:00-9:00) - George: "I love you too." Aaaaand I'm out! (No wait, I have more: Couldn't have done a better job of sabotaging every appealing character on the show, except maybe to have Bailey kill a puppy on air. Seriously: HATE)
  • Survivor: China (CBS 7:00-8:00) - Not a bad start at all, but I'm waiting for the real hook, and it just can't compete with Ugly Betty right now. I'll still stay in the loop, though. Mildly compelling stuff. Plus: a tiny competitor named Frosti, and a gay Mormon flight attendant? Talk about your inspired casting.

Friday!

What to Watch:

  • Friday Night Lights (NBC 8:00-9:00) - Sweet unholy damn. That had best not be representative of the rest of this season. I can't handle this level of disappointment. Between this and How I Met Your Mother, I feel like all of last season was just a lie! *Deep Breath* Give it time, give it time.
  • Women's Murder Club (ABC 8:00-9:00) - Still hasn't aired yet, but the FNL showing has opened the door wide for this show to jump right in. Yikes.

Sunday!

What to Watch:

  • Yeah, I lied, I haven't watched a second of TV on Sunday except for football during the day, and I've yet to miss any of it.
Y'all? That is only three and a half hours of shows that are actually good right now (Ugly Betty, Dirty Sexy Money, Pushing Daisies, The Office). What the hell happened to TV? I suppose it's for the best, anyways. I've heard the outdoors are really in right now.

No comments: