Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Fog (Resulting)

There is too much something in the air right now to properly string together a coherent entry. Too much good food, too much time off, too many cool new presents to play with, too many sports to watch, too many warm Christmassy feelings. It's all very nice, but not conducive to either proper posts, or my waistline.

So when all else fails, we fall to a quick series of reviews, and hope that the fog lifts later on.

I knew I was doing that Movie Roundup too soon. I've seen four new movies that will have to be edited in to the list, found one that I missed, and will probably see at least 2 more movies before we officially hit 2007. Which means that the 61 figure is actually more like 68, which...yeah we're not going to think about it.

In no particular order:
  • My Super Ex-Girlfriend: My God, this is a bad movie. Horrible. Do not, under any circumstances, including being paid for the effort, watch this movie. No no no no. I hope we're clear.
  • Slither: This movie is something of a conundrum. Because on one hand, it's not very good. Too short, a little choppy, some weirdly forced moments, slow in the wrong spots and too quick in the important ones, it's such a strange little movie. On the other hand, Nathan Fillion is great, some of the jokes are just lovely, and the whole B-movie camp factor is deliciously high. Can you really go wrong with a movie about slugs that jump into people's mouths to turn them into zombies? I can't in good conscience recommend it, but I sort of have some serious affection for it. Weird.
  • Happy Feet: A sort-of good movie that is ruined by the weirdest ending that one can imagine in a children's feature length cartoon. I am mandated by some unknown higher force to see all movies starring Elijah Wood. This is unavoidable, we know this. The whole thing is not bad entirely bad, though. Robin Williams is only the slightest bit grating, which is the highest praise one can ever give him these days. I like penguins, I like dancing, and the music was pretty good. The whole shoehorned environmentalism last 20 minutes though... Yeah, I got nothing. Not as horrible as expected, but certainly not good either.
  • The History Boys: Now this is a good movie. More particularly, this is exactly my kind of movie. Full of words, and literature, it's the story of a set of senior boys in Britian who are studying for their final entrance exams to the college level. There is a Dead Poets' Society sort of vibe going on (a couple of beloved quirky teachers are the focal point of the movie) but not in a sucking kind of way. In a cool, literate, and thinking way. There are some ridiculously hilarious moments, a lot of painfully uncomfortable ones, and pretty much everything in between. It's obviously (and in some cases badly) adapted from the stage version of the play, but by keeping the principle actors from the original cast, you get a very good sense of character, even when the boys sort of become a blur in the condensing of the story. Highly, highly recommended, unless you have a case of gay panic, in which case I recommend you stay far away from this movie (and me).

1 comment:

Mark said...

Oh! Oh! I loved History Boys! I thought it was deep and thoughtful, thought it did make me feel sad and lonely :(

On the other hand, I didn't see what the fuss was about with whatsisface. You know, the one they all fancied.