Monday, December 15, 2008

Winter Back into Television (Week Christ It's Cold)

How I Met Your Mother - Aw, they pretended to get into a fight! Okay, I was only mildly pleased with this episode, and that was mostly due to the fact that I have some weird unrelenting love for when Robin acts like a dork. I think maybe I'm just so trained to think of her as very serious-minded from the first two seasons that I'm completely into this ditzy regression over the next two. Whatever it is, her little scene where she goes from flirting with Barney to fleeing out the door was totally the highlight of the whole show for me. No, wait, that's a damn dirty lie. MARSHALL GOT A HAIRCUT! Thank the lord above, it's a near-Christmas miracle.

Survivor - Okay, two episodes this week, including the finale. The first one was pretty lame but kinda satisfying (mostly by including people blindfolded and wandering around bumping into things, which is always great TV), and then the second one was pretty awesome but totally unsatisfying (because the alliance fell, and good came close to triumphing before falling to bits).

I mean good goddamn, what a petty jury. Which yes, should not come as a surprise I know, but still. I'd like to think that good gameplay should be rewarded. Y'know, instead of just being as inoffensive as possible and sliding into the end on the sheer willpower of being the least threatening member of a big alliance that got smoked. Sugar played the hell out of that entire season - immunity idol finding, crazy good acting, organizing the most humiliating exit possible for the vile Randy, and basically just being a badass - and then she doesn't get a single vote in the end. Meanwhile Susie is a vote from winning, despite never doing anything ever. The only things I remember her doing the entire season were wandering completely off the blindfolded course with Crystal(seriously, so good) and then winning one immunity challenge.

I'm totally cool with Bob taking it in the end, I mean the guy had a knack for crafts and was overall pretty awesome. But seriously, did no one notice that the only reason that he was even in the finals was because Sugar brought him? Yeah, that was a horrible idea on her part, strategy-wise, but still. I'm just bitter in general over this show. Also, goddamn Probst, I hate him so much. (Just thought I'd throw that in there.)

The Office - Wow, I did not enjoy that one bit. Wait, no, I did enjoy when Kevin could only think of the good way that Meredith's alcoholism affected him. And the cold open with the fake wrapped desk. But everything else was terrible. Can we talk about the episode I missed last week instead? Because that was awesome. Oscar getting a full-on A-story (and being the most hilarious thing ever)? That bit about the lemonade stand in the opening sent me into an uncontrollable fit of giggles for the first 10 minutes of the show. Plus, you had Jim and Pam basically being horrible people, but still being just about the most adorable they've ever been, since season 2 pranking days. Oh and Michael with his fur coat at the end! Yeah, I'm just going to pretend that whole Christmas debacle never happened.

30 Rock - No seriously, I'll just show myself out. I am such a homer for this show, I can't even explain it. Even with the weakest B-plot possible (Liz's attempt at desperate Christmas goodwill backfiring) it still made me laugh so much that I kinda can't believe it. 16-8=8! "If I want to lick a hippie I'll just return Joan Baez's phone calls."Jenna wanting to get out of the store "BEFORE SOMEONE RECOGNIZES ME." This show completes me in a way I didn't think possible.

RECAP
Because it's a short week, only one award this week:

Best Line
30 Rock - Tracy: "Well if all you want is a hug from a black person, maybe you should just host the Price is Right."

No wait, it's actually:
30 Rock - Jenna: "Mr. Donaghy, as leader of this group I have to put my foot down. Christmas is a sacred time for me and my surrogate family. So if you're willing to look four 25-year old gay guys in the eyes and tell them that we're not going to see New Kids on the Block at the Borgata, be my guest."

Or, no, really this one was best:
30 Rock - Jack: "What kind of mother tells her son that John Kennedy died because he talked in church? Or tells her son when he was voted captain of the diving team, quote, 'What a great way to meet guys?'"

Anyways, yeah, I love 30 Rock.

No comments: