Monday, December 08, 2008

Fall Back into Television (Week Infinity)

How to tell it's officially the holiday season: You can eat an entire pizza from Schlotzsky's in a single sitting and not feel an ounce of remorse (since it's less than you've usually been eating per meal since Thanksgiving).

But this is not about my awesome lunch, this is about TV.

How I Met Your Mother - This is a catch up note, since I didn't watch anything last week and this week was a rerun. So the whole Naked Man episode. I dunno. On the one hand - gratuitous NPH nudity is never ever a bad thing. Plus, bonus Josh Radnor nudity as well. On the other hand - I straight up hated Marshall (and kind of still do) for that whole 'calling Robin a slut' thing. I dunno, it put me in a really bad mood. But back on the other hand, I kinda loved the list of reasons for sex. I think in the end I fall on the positive side of things, and just curse stupid Marshall privately.

Ugly Betty - Uh, exactly why do they keep trying to humanize Amanda? Or, more specifically, why do they humanize her approximately 3 times each season, and then in the next episode she's forgotten the lesson and goes back to her old (more fun) way of being? It's just getting tired. Still, a pretty decent episode over all. ("Bad Ronald" is very close to getting into every day vernacular around here) I still want more Marc, though, dammit. (Also more Justin.)

Grey's Anatomy - Yeah, so I said I would never watch this again last week, but then I was at Jordan's and he wanted to watch it, so I agreed, and it wasn't as nearly as bad as I made it out to be, although I still put my fingers in my ears and went "LALALALA" every time Katherine Heigl was onscreen. God, I love Sandra Oh and Chandra Wilson so much it hurts sometimes.

Survivor - A necessary but completely boring episode, because of the continuing Ken alliance of reformed smartness. I say reformed, because what the heck were they attempting to pull there at the end for the end-around of yet another brilliantly crafted Bob Fake Idol? Now you've basically shown your hand to your alliance-mates for absolutely no reason, and it would have failed anyways (there aren't that many people left, guys. Count the votes). If he plays the resulting fallout correctly, I could totally see Bob pulling a super coup on this alliance. Not that it'll happen, but it's not out of the realm of possibility anymore. Dumb dumb dumb.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Hooooly crap. Okay, so the extreme home makeover episode wasn't ultra great (I really enjoyed Frank getting the edge for once and realizing exactly how bad it was going to get, but otherwise it was just standard fare), but damn if that Night Man musical wasn't just the best way possible to end the season. "I will smack your face off your face." The entire "Boy's soul" versus "Boy's hole" discussion. "We have to be careful about how we do the rape scene." Not even kidding, it might be my favorite episode of the whole series. Bravo. (Also, if you haven't, go watch the deleted scene, which prominently features the song "It's Nature (Shit Happens)." Trust me, you'll thank me later.)

30 Rock - And finally an episode with no big guest star this season. Totally on target and completely hilarious, although a shocking lack of Scott Adsit. I really love how they continue to push the underlying sexual tension between Fey and Baldwin for as many laughs as possible. I'm also shocked at how many one liners they're able to cram in to a single episode. I could basically fill this entire post with all the jokes this week. As you'll see in a second when we get to the awards section.

Amazing Race - I don't even want to discuss the penultimate episode, such is my deep sadness for Toni and Dallas. Damn, that made me so angry. But I did enjoy the finale, formulaic and expected, though it was. My second favorite team won, but considering that it was their destiny after winning basically every leg of the race, it was a little underwhelming. Ken and Tina were cute, the Frat boys were appropriately humble and nice about their lagging third place finish, and Phil was completely on his game at the end. A satisfying ending to a lackluster season. But man, Toni and Dallas weren't even at the finish line. Are they still stuck in Russia, like, right now?

Things I Missed - The Office. Woe unto me, and so forth.

RECAP

Best Episode of the Week:

It's Always Sunny - The Night Man Cometh

Best Line of the Week:
30 Rock - Random High School Alumnae: "Still think I'm 'gayer than the volleyball scene in Top Gun?'" (But only because this comic came out in the same week.)
Oh So Many Runner's Up:
It's Always Sunny - Charlie: "I will smack your face off your face."
30 Rock - Jenna: "I would have gone to my reunion but the boat I was educated on sank."
It's Always Sunny - Mac: (In response to Charlie's creation of a musical "for no reason") "Who's it versus?"
30 Rock - Jenna: "No. Keep crying. I want you to feel this so you never make this mistake again."

Best Moment of the Week:
It's Always Sunny - Charlie's 'singing' proposal.
Runner Up:
HIMYM - The nude pose-off between Barney and Ted.

Most Disappointing:

Amazing Race - But only because of poor Toni and Dallas

Most Anticipated:
Uh, isn't TV basically over until January now? Dammit, now what am I going to do with my free time?