Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Brief Oscar Follow Up

I have mostly nothing to say about The Oscars, except that I pretty much uniformly enjoyed this year's ceremony, much more so than usual, even if the winners were a bit predictable.

Best Bits (In order of Bestness):
  • Anne Hathaway! God, I love her. Totally being the best part of the intro pretending to be Nixon, getting all choked up at Shirley MacLaine's tribute, and then looking genuinely happy for Kate Winslet when she won. She completes me.
  • Dustin Lance Black, and that super cute (and political) speech. Definitely the best one of the night.
  • Sean Penn. Not only did he win, he was sort of charming about it! I was absolutely dreading my mixed feelings of happiness and loathing if he won and then gave a douchey speech, but instead it was all happiness. Good for him.
  • Tina Fey & Steve Martin. The best presenters by a mile, and genuinely funny.
  • The part of the opening dance number when Hugh Jackman was all "The Reader... I haven't seen The Reader" and all the crazy metallic dancing guys. Possibly the only time I laughed out loud during the whole show.
  • No wait, I also laughed when Will Smith said "Boom goes the dynamite."
  • James Franco watching James Franco. If Anne Hathaway hadn't already completed me, he would do the job.
  • Kate Winslet winning and being ultra cute and having her dad whistle. I am really glad she finally won one.
Overall this was one of my favorite Oscars ever, even if you factor in the parts where the random Musical Tribute to Music and Zac Effron's really unfortunate looking hair. It's weird, I really didn't care about the awards much as all, but the viewing experience was pretty awesome.

No comments: