Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall Back into Television (Week 3)

Wherein I did nothing but watch TV all week long (since I was so tired from moving my office) so I have so many opinions!
  • How I Met Your Mother - I don't know. The show still doesn't have it's groove back, but it was pretty funny. I really enjoyed Marshall in Costco, and just about lost it when he was wearing the dog shirt when they got back. But Barney was tiresome, and I'm about 10 minutes from completely over this Ted/Stella storyline. What's way more troubling though, comes next...

  • The Big Bang Theory - So I watched this shit show before HIMYM came on, and God help me, it was hilarious. Like, I laughed really inappropriately loudly at least twice. It was like the reincarnation of The Class. I felt dirty. But seriously, if I was to honestly pick the best show of the week (like I'm about to in a few minutes) I have to give serious consideration to this one. I feel like the world has gone mad.

  • Chuck - And now I remember why I dropped this show in the first place - it's so utterly unrealistic that I can't even enjoy the inherent camp. Every week there some new bad guy, who is theoretically the most bad ass bad ass to ever bad ass, only they are easily thwarted by Chuck's wily nerd charms. Dude, the actual character of Julie Cooper from The OC could have taken out these fools, and in this case the actress was supposedly playing an international assassin. I know not to expect any sort of realism, but some sort of grounding in the physical world would be nice.

  • Fringe - Completely enjoyable at the time, but if you asked me what happened this week, it's even odds that I couldn't remember a single plot point. That's a bad sign. Particularly since it's the only thing I watch on Tuesdays, which means I could just drop it and have a whole night free to myself. That's ultra tempting.

  • Project Runway - What did I say last week?! Complete bullshit, that Jerell could get voted off at the last second like that. That said, I have reviewed all their individual lines, and I agree with the top three choices. But seriously, I hated Korto's bridesmaid dress. If we were going from that individual challenge, for me she should have been gone. I really wonder how the ending will go, though - based on those lines, all three have a real shot at winning (although I still think Leanne has the edge). Oh, and how cute was the 3 seconds of Leanne's boyfriend? It was like they were the same person. Also, I now totally want to be like Jerell and refer to my boyfriend as my "love interest." It's so evocative, and not as queer sounding as "partner." Okay, maybe it's more queer-sounding. I don't care.

  • The Office - I swear, this show will be the death of me. Even with no Pam and super limited Ryan, I was still blown away. I love Amy Ryan with an unbearable passion. God I wish she could stay forever. And Jim's annoying little brother routine with Dwight hasn't been as artfully captured as this since Conflict Resolution. Pure awesome.

  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - I think I'm off a week on this show, since I catch it on Hulu, rather than when it airs. So this week is about both the billboard and Mac sleeping with the Waitress. The billboard was funny, if a little flat. Frank's billboard tryouts were the funniest parts by far, but I just couldn't get into the Charlie/Dee line. Mac and the Waitress, however, was pure gold. Somehow, the weirder Charlie is, the more I like him. And that ending was perfect - reveal, reveal, closure, then supposedly-homo-Mac in a crumpled heap in the street coverd in popping fireworks. That's what I like to see.

  • The Amazing Race - God, I've missed this show. Even though it was hard to stretch out the tension at the end (you knew there was a time penalty going into the ending and the geeks who were getting penalized were second to last) it was still totally enjoyable all the way through. Scary bikes, inter-team drama (with one of my favored teams being the dramatizers), and fake Mexican wrestling. You can't beat this show. My favorite two teams: Mother/Son combo. who looked super impressive busting through that Roadblock, and Brother/Sister combo, who seem to be good natured fools (with terrible names). I'm really looking forward to next week.

  • Things I Missed: Everything Thursday, as I was at the office moving until after 9:00. No Ugly Betty or Survivor (but I caught The Office on Hulu). No Pushing Daisies or Dirty Sexy Money on Wednesday since Frank watched America's Next Top Model instead of PD, and I watched South Park instead of DSM. The less said about that South Park, the better, though. Man that was horrible.
Recap

Best Episode of the Week:
*SIGH*
The Big Bang Theory - The Barbarian Sublimation

Best Line of the Week:
The Office - "Story's kinda bland. It's about this guy named Dumbledore Calrissian who needs to return the ring back to Mordor."
Close, Close, Oh-So-Close Runner Up:
The Office - "It's a trick question. The bread is poisoned. Also, it's not your real family. You've been cuckolded by a stronger, smarter male."

Best Moment of the Week:
The Big Bang Theory - Sheldon on the ease of picking up a guy (with demonstration)
Runners Up:
The Office - Jim's Entire Battlestar Galactica Goading
Amazing Race - The Extended Wrestling Roadblock

Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Unexpected Laughs:
Let's just give this category wholesale to Big Bang Theory for actually making me laugh at all.

Most Disappointing:
South Park - Jesus that was horrible.

Most Anticipated:
I'm on an Amazing Race kick right now, so probably that. Although the preview for The Office with the watermelon looks really enticing, too...

But come on, it's no contest: Project Runway Season Finale. Bryant Park! "Wave Architecture" versus "Alice in Wonderland Covered in Rope" versus "African Inspired Beading!" I cannot wait.

4 comments:

JHarp said...

There is a reason you don't remember fringe. There was this tiny thing called a presidential debate on tuesday night so none of the tuesday shows aired....... either that of I am crazy and have my week mixed up, but I don't think so.

Jason said...

Okay, thank God, no wonder I was blanking.

The last episode was that thing with the cylinder, right? And it wasn't last week? Maybe I just have brain damage or something.

I should just be disqualified from talking about TV until I can form coherent sentences.

Sean said...

The bread is poisoned FTW.

I work in close proximity to other people and when I read that, I had to do that laughter suppression thing, with the snorting and the pretending you're coughing.

And for reals on the South Park. Pretty weak.

Unknown said...

`ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora charms, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, converse outlet, hollister, barbour jackets, moncler, gucci, moncler, canada goose uk, wedding dresses, moncler, moncler outlet, converse, links of london, marc jacobs, swarovski crystal, canada goose, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, ugg boots uk, barbour, ray ban, replica watches, toms shoes, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, vans, canada goose, canada goose, moncler, karen millen, montre pas cher, thomas sabo, bottes ugg, ugg pas cher, sac louis vuitton pas cher, louis vuitton, doudoune canada goose, swarovski, lancel, moncler, moncler, pandora charms, supra shoes, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, coach outlet