Monday, September 29, 2008

Wherein I Fall Back into Television

So I really thought that I was finally over TV.

I mean, yeah I still watch some things, but after a summer where I didn't need to turn on the set unless it was to watch Project Runway, I had been actively considering dropping my cable, and just relying on Hulu and streaming video to get me through the fall season.

And then said fall season started, and I became the ultra couch potato that is my birthright and my destiny.

So, I now present a rundown of all my television thoughts, as fast as I can get them down.

  • How I Met Your Mother: My most anticipated anything, as per usual, but this was a decidedly low key start. I'm a little over Sarah Chalke at this point - not that it's her fault, but the shortened season last year has left her character completely devoid of any real personality. That said, she made huge inroads into my heart with her dissection of Star Wars there at the end. "Good idea, Bear," indeed.

    And I almost don't want to talk about the Barney subplot, because then I might let it slip that I've watched this scene (where he explains that he doesn't want to be Robin's boyfriend) approximately 95 times in the past 7 days. Seriously, the crush is out of control. But whatever. It's a good start to the season.

  • Chuck: I didn't watch this show for much of last season after that terrifyingly bad second episode. But then I came back for a bit because of my unrelenting girl-crush on Rachel Bilson, and it was markedly better. And then I watched the preview of the second season premiere on Hulu last week, and I was incredibly entertained. I'm picking this one up for the whole season, I think.

  • Heroes: Aaaaaand I'm out. I suffered through the last season of dreck in the hopes that we could right all that went wrong, that the strike really was that affecting to the quality of the show. And then I watched the season premiere and every single person on the show developed super powers, while no one developed any better acting powers. I'm so over this show, it's not even funny. Although I'll probably still retain some of it by osmosis, since Frank is still a watcher.

  • Fringe: I was unabashedly onboard for the terrible pilot, but every week that goes by, I'm less and less enthused. Everyone knows I've been wishing for an X-Files spiritual successor, but so far this is just not doing it for me. Which is weird. You know I love me some Pacey, and Denethor is pretty hilariously awesome, but on the whole, I kinda wish that I was doing something else while I'm watching this show. Maybe it'll get better.

  • America's Next Top Model: Most shocking development of this entire Fall Season? I made it through only 15 minutes of one episode of what used to be a staple show for me, before I turned it off, and haven't looked back since. I don't know what happened there, but it's dead to me. Sorry Tyra.

  • Project Runway: As terrible as this whole season has been, I still really love this show. I think it helps that my two favorite designers have made it all the way to the end for once (unless you count the super unfortunate early exit of my boy Wesley. *sigh*). It's been pretty uneven all season long, and the quality of designs have been horribly lacking on occasion, but I love all the drama, and I have an actual interest in the outcome (as opposed to last year when I all I cared about was whether or not Jillian would reveal her true robot form at the final elimination, Terminator style).

    Also: Team Leanne all the way.

  • Ugly Betty: 1) I am disappointed by the reboot of the season, basically tossing out most of the last year and turning Alexis into the dumbest thing this side of a palm tree. 2) But as much as I hate to admit it, I sorta love the shakeups. The new magazine, the new apartment, bringing in the "only gay for Jamie" guy from 30 Rock (Which, by the way, was the best thing that came out of television last season, hands down. Unless you count that other scene from 30 Rock where Tina Fey eats an entire sub sandwich onscreen in 20 seconds. Or Alec Baldwin's therapy role playing session. Okay, I really need to write up a separate post about how much I love 30 Rock. We're supposed to be talking Ugly Betty). I'm cautiously optimistic about the future. 3)More Mark and Amanda, dammit! Give the people what they want.

  • The Office: There are no words for how much I loved the first episode this season. I was dreading another hour long episode (as last year they just dragged on and on) but this was perfectly paced, hilarious, and actually felt almost a little tight, like it was cut for length. That's some great writing there. (And I'm not even going to talk about the Jim and Pam thing. You think my little Barney disclosure up there was embarrassing? You have no idea.) Easily my front runner for best start of the season.

  • Survivor: It always takes a while for the season to set itself, so I'll give it a pass for now, except to say that I'm really starting to hate Jeff Probst. I mean, how wildly unprofessional was that council where he forced a leadership vote? Quit directly involving yourself in the coolest part of each year (the natural shakeout of the initial alliances). I do love the location, though, so maybe there is some promise here.

  • It's Always Funny In Philadelphia: Y'all, this show is so good. I don't know really how to explain it. I'm consistently shocked that it doesn't just collapse in on itself, week after week. I mean, Danny DeVito has a starring role! It defies all logic. But sweet damn, we're two episodes into the season, and I've already got three new favorite moments for the series. (In case you were wondering what they are: Charlie, Mac, and Dennis shirtless for the loan officer in the bank lobby, Dee attacking her sandwich like a bird, and "Wildcard, Bitches!")

  • Simpsons: About as lackluster as you can get, but they got three solid laughs out of me, which is about 2 more than the entirety of last season, so color me potentially hopeful for this year.

  • Amazing Race: How long have I been looking forward to this? Apparently so long that I completely forgot that it started yesterday. Man, I'm falling apart. Also, why in God's name does CBS only have like 15 2-minute snippets of the show on their website? And why do they each take individually 5 minutes to load? Oh well, my impressions will have to wait until next week when I can properly remember to watch things. I do like the looks of this cast, though.
Recap

Best Episode of the Week:
The Office - Weight Loss

Best Line of the Week:
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "Wildcard, Bitches!"

Best Line of the Week That's Apparently Funny Only to Jason and No One Else, Because He's a Sucker For Continuity:
The Office: "Cryogenics! Beer Me Five."

Best Moment of the Week:
The Office - Jim & Pam's Rest stop Moment in the Rain
Runners Up:
How I Met Your Mother - Barney on Boyfriends
Project Runway - Leanne's Hip-Hop Walk Down the Runway
Survivor - Gay Charlie's Super Unhealthy and Hilarious Man Crush on Pretty Haired (and Straight) Doctor Marcus

Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Unexpected Laughs:
Chuck - Morgan's Beyond Thunderdome Method of Determining Promotions

Most Disappointing:
Heroes - Mohinder steals the plot of The Fly and destroys my love forever.

Most Anticipated:
Dirty Sexy Money & Pushing Daisies both start this week

Most In Need of a Life:
Yeah, I know.

No comments: