Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Bitter in Advance

Guys, I am in the worst mood today. All it took was my iPod freezing up first thing this morning, and now I'm useless for the rest of the day. All morning long, people have been doing stupid or annoying thing all around me, and I feel justified getting more and more angry. In fact, I just yelled at a telemarketer (who completely deserved it, just to be clear) and felt profoundly more bitter when I hung up. This is not a good state of affairs.

By the time the commute home comes around, I'll probably be at the point where I road rage someone right off a bridge or something.

In order to stave off the waves of bitterness, I present you a book meme. Because I like making other people suffer along with my boring eccentricities. (via 50 Books)

Five most recent books you've bought for yourself:
  1. Penny Arcade Vol 4: Birds are Weird, Jerry Holkins & Mike Krahulik
  2. Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy, David Sedaris (so I can finally return Devon's copy)
  3. Different Seasons, Stephen King
  4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling (preorder, natch.)
  5. Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden

Five books you've most recently given other people:

  1. Great Cookies: Secrets to Sensational Sweets, Carole Walter
  2. The Joiner King, Troy Denning
  3. Assassination Vacation, Sarah Vowell
  4. Invitiation to the Game, Monica Hughes
  5. Revelation Space, Alastair Reynolds
Five most recent books you've loaned other people, and their status:
  1. Shalimar the Clown: A Novel, Salman Rushdie (still on loan from being on loan to me from the library)
  2. Harry Potter and The Sorceror's Stone, J.K. Rowling (still on loan)
  3. A Home at the End of the World, Michael Cunningham (returned)
  4. Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris (returned)
  5. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (returned)

Last five books you looked at on Amazon/Chapters/Powell's/etc.:

  1. Specimen Days: A Novel by Michael Cunningham
  2. The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell
  3. Grand & Humble by Brent Hartinger
  4. The Yiddish Policemen's Union: A Novel by Michael Chabon
  5. The Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Top five books on your "to read" pile:
  1. Century Rain, Alastair Reynolds (I will finish you yet, dammit)
  2. Fragile Things, Neil Gaiman
  3. The Yiddish Policemen's Union, Michael Chabon
  4. Glasshouse, Charles Stross
  5. Old Man's War, John Scalzi
Bottom five books on your "to read" pile:
  1. Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco
  2. Quicksilver, Neal Stephenson
  3. Empire, Orson Scott Card
  4. The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, Bill Bryson
  5. A Beautiful Mind, Sylvia Nasar

Mm, all that talk of books now has me at least 22% less likely to kill someone on my way home. Books really do enrich your life.

1 comment:

frank said...

The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid?!! You're going to hell.